Chest of Drawers/Dresser In Sapele

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I actually started this before Christmas. Progress went quick until I got to the finish. Then last 3 weeks, the rains and humidity have been extreme, making it impossible to spray. In the last 4 weeks we eclipsed 38 inches of rain. As I write this it is raining...... again ........ :rolleyes:. The delays allowed me to stump a couple of trees, repair the plumbing, rewire the 220 lines for my welder and trim up the yard.

Anyway, built this for my wife. It is Sapele top and front and white lacquer on the sides and back. The trim moulding under the top is Silky Oak, locally milled. I still have some touch up and final adjusting. I'll wait until I get it in to our bedroom to do that.

Roughly, 35"tall, 20" inches deep and 86" long. I built with what I have on hand. The pulls are what my wife picked off Amazon. One thing that happened was the wood dust that got on the drawers started to mold. The wood itself is sealed and oiled. That was something new to me, never seen that before. Easy fix brushed off and cleaned with alcohol.
The front and top finish is clear lacquer, I wet sanded the top to 1500 and rubbed it out.

Attachments

• Dresser (1).jpg
    Dresser (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 183
  • Dresser (2).jpg
    Dresser (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • Dresser (3).jpg
    Dresser (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 179
  • Dresser (4).jpg
    Dresser (4).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 187
  • Dresser (5).jpg
    Dresser (5).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
  • Dresser (7).jpg
    Dresser (7).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 191
  • Dresser (8).jpg
    Dresser (8).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
  • Dresser (9).jpg
    Dresser (9).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • Dresser (10).jpg
    Dresser (10).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
  • Dresser (11).jpg
    Dresser (11).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:

striker

New User
Stephen
So the top is solid? I read the pictures first! It appeared you were applying edge moulding to the end and front of the top but I guess I read that wrong. Big piece, came out nice.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow, nice work. Looks great.
Build strategy similar to cabinetry, compared to traditional freestanding furniture. It is also I fairly large piece and that drives some choices too. Is this a built-in? I doubt it because you finished the sides.
I guess what I am asking about is what drove your choices on the case construction.
THanks

• Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thank you, all

Henry, you are correct, I leaned toward the cabinet carcass base because of the length to assure it could take the loading it will get. My wife will put a lot in it, I wanted to make sure it was bullet proof. Also, I added reinforcing struts to the drawer bottoms to make sure they do not sag. Wife wanted a toe kick and no openings under the piece to assure easy floor maintenance :)

@striker the top is veneer ply. I edged it with the grain to properly match. So, vertical on the sides and running longwise on the front & back. The original top I made out of solid wood, I discovered a stain in it I just could not get out so I abandoned it. The top piece was left over from something I did last year, but because it was narrower than originally planned I just adjusted everything to it. The dresser became 1.5 inches narrower.

One thing I have to say, since my move I forgot how frustrating it is not to have a set up shop, working out of a garage and everything being mobile makes work slower and harder. Since the time of the original posting until just now, it has been raining non stop.....:oops: guess that's why it is green here.

Wow, nice work. Looks great.
Build strategy similar to cabinetry, compared to traditional freestanding furniture. It is also I fairly large piece and that drives some choices too. Is this a built-in? I doubt it because you finished the sides.
I guess what I am asking about is what drove your choices on the case construction.
THanks

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Where did you locate Sapele plywood? Or did you apply your own veneer? I just completed a piece using sapele and had to use mahogany for the back.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I got it in a bulk buy. The piece was 92"long. That was no problem for me. Sapele ply is available on the west cost. Not sure anymore on the east coast. There was a place outside Atlanta that sold exotic ply that carried it, but that was 7 years ago, can't remember the name

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
great looking piece. Congrats! I too made a dresser using both quarter sawn and figured Sapele. Drawers have a cock bead of tiger mapleIMG_0786.JPGIMG_0787.JPG

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Casey. I like the way you matched the grain for the drawer fronts. The edge beveling on the drawers is simple but very effective. Looks like you took a lot of care figuring out the best angle and width of cut.

• Thanks

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work and the finish is awesome. I have made several pieces with Sapele, I enjoy working with it.

• Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will take either one - Dino's or Casey's!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS