Chessboard WIP - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Well, I finally got some more time in the shop. Here are some recent pictures.
More in my gallery Still have much sanding to do.

Here is the top
top.jpg

Side view
side_view.jpg

Here is where the drawer will go to hold the pieces.
drawer_opening.jpg

Thanks for looking. All that's left to do is make the drawer and compartments to hold the pieces. And lots of sanding.

T

toolferone

Wouldn't woodworking be great if we didn't have to sand so much! Clay it is coming along great!. You might have said already but are you turning the chess pieces?

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
You might have said already but are you turning the chess pieces?

Someone did ask.. I avoided that question. Truth is, I have always wanted to turn my own pieces. I haven't found a set I like well enought to make a pattern from though. I found a good book in the woodcraft called "Turning chess men" or something like that. I'm not sure I have the skill to do that. I know, I know.. how else will you gain the skill unless you just ... do it?

J

jeff...

Someone did ask.. I avoided that question. Truth is, I have always wanted to turn my own pieces. I haven't found a set I like well enought to make a pattern from though. I found a good book in the woodcraft called "Turning chess men" or something like that. I'm not sure I have the skill to do that. I know, I know.. how else will you gain the skill unless you just ... do it?

Wow that Chess Board is a work of ART :icon_thum I can't even remember how to play chess, but I'll take you any day in checkers.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Man, Clay, I can't believe how nice a chess board can look. I don't play, particularly, but I am now thinking about trying to copy what you are doing, just for display in the formal living room. That is gorgeous!!! I really like the design choices you made with the maple burl...continuing that into the framed sides....very nice!

Chris

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Very nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I have been thinking about make a board to play checkers on. I don't play chess. I really like your design.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Clay,
That looks great friend. I love chess, I am not that good but I love to play. maybe one day we could strike up a game. I saw on your board that you beveled the edges on each piece. Are you going to fill that in with a finish so that it is a smooth top? Or are you going to leave the grid pattern? What type of finish are you thinking about? Looks awesome bro.

Michael

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Now I think I would like to make a chess board. It would make a great Christmas gift. Afraid it would have to be a checker board though. I can't wait to see it when you have the finish on. Wouldn't it be pretty in cherry?

J

jeff...

Clay did you checkout Michael's links on making chess pieces? You can do it

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Clay,

Its like that old saying,,"The longest journey begins with the first step"
Besides your an accomplished turner I'm sure when you do make them friend they will turn out awesome.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, Clay, the way your pens turn out, I am sure you could make your own chess men, too!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Clay,

The board itself is a noteworthy achievement. No way I could make that many pieces square . . . not counting those perfect chamfers. Great job :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS