Chessboard - WIP 4 ... all lacquered and flocked up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Well... I got about 6 coats of lacquer on the piece this weekend. I'm waiting a couple days for it to fully cure so I can rub it out with micromesh. This is my first go at lacquer. I chose a gloss, it still looks wet, I love it. I also used Suede-Tex flocking system to line the inner drawer. Got to wait a couple of days for that to cure too. I'll say, initial impressions on the suede-tex is good. It was easy to use. I hope it all doesn't dump out when I turn the drawer over to remove the excess fibers :eusa_pray:eusa_pray.

All that's left to do now is rub it out and install the dividers and hardware. Oh.. and play some chess.

More photos in my gallery.

Here is the top with lacquer.
top_with_lacquer2.jpg

Here is the dividers waiting to be installed.
dividers_with_lacquer.jpg

Drawer with the flock drying... (I just love saying flock)
drawer_flocked.jpg

Here is a closeup of the edge profiles.
profile_detail_with_lacquer.jpg

Thanks for looking. I intend to bring this to the show.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, you flocked that one up good. You'll like the Suede-tex system, it work and looks great and as long as you used enough adhesive, it will remain covered.
Beautiful work, definitely a heirloom to be passed on to many generations.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Beautiful job on the finish and flocking Clay.:icon_thum Those six coats of lacquer are going to give your chess board a really rich finish once you get it all rubbed out. Are you going to run through all of the grits up to 12K with the micro-mesh?

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I'm not really sure on the best process? There are 9 grits on the MM. Should I start at the first grit and run through 9? Or just start mid way?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I'm not really sure on the best process? There are 9 grits on the MM. Should I start at the first grit and run through 9? Or just start mid way?

Clay, I think I would lightly rub the finish out first with a white (Scotch Bright) pad to initially smooth it. Then definitely start with the lowest of the nine MM grits and work toward the highest grit. The nice thing about MM is that you can stop at any time (grit) once you have achieved the level of sheen you want. If you take it all the way to 12K you should be able to get your finish to look like glass.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great job Clay. The attention to detail really shows. :icon_thum

Hopefully, the functionality will prove unbeatable :mrgreen:

Roger

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Wonderful work Clay. What kind of glue did you use for your veneer work? Really like the BEM. Sets off the piece.

Mike

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I used regular yellow tightbone II glue. on both pieces to be mated.. let it get tacky and pressed/rolled/fussed/fought it into place.. then clamped it nice with some bowed stock and clamps about as close as I could get them on the whole piece. I only had enough clamps to do one piece at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS