Chessboard - WIP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Got some shop time today. I finished up the drawer, made the compartments for the chessmen. I hit it with a thin coat of shellac to help show off the grain. All that's left to do is to put on several coats of lacquer and suede-tex the compartments. I don't think I did a half bad job on the veneering for my first go at it...

More pictures in my gallery..
Here's the hardware I picked out for the drawer
drawer_pulls.jpg

Here is the drawer compartments
inside_drawer.jpg

Here is the top..
top4_before_finish.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
WOW................awesome job Clay.:icon_thum The grain on your top is gorgeous. What wood are you using for the edging of the top?

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
That is maple burl veneer on the top border. The inlay is walnut and maple cut from the same boards as the squares. It's hard to tell, but the squares were numbered and laid down in the same order they were cut from the boards.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That is maple burl veneer on the top border. The inlay is walnut and maple cut from the same boards as the squares. It's hard to tell, but the squares were numbered and laid down in the same order they were cut from the boards.

Cool.............I missed the inlay feature and had to go back a take another look. Very nicely done. Your veneering work looks great also.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Clay, your attention to the details is impressive. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
geez, Clay. That is absolutely beautiful! I am not a big chess player, but will seriously consider trying to build a similar board. It is gorgeous!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Clay, that is a beautiful masterpiece. The attention to detail is evident throughout. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How did you allow for movement of the squares in the cross grain direction? Are the drawer dividers floating?

Great choice of color and grain throughout.

Chuck

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
That looks awesome Clay.:icon_thum Any thoughts on turning the pieces? My screw chuck can on Friday so I will start working on my son's set soon.:lol:

J

jeff...

I keep looking at this and am amazed. My fingers don't do so well with small stuff any more, nor do I have near the talant to even think of something like this. Clay hang on to this masterpiece, it's already a family heirloom, top it off with your own turned chess peices it'll be complete.

dang... man this is nice, your a great craftsman :icon_thum and I don't mean sears either.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words. The pieces on top are laid down with "spacers" to allow for movement. The spacers are just slips of paper put between the pieces. They are removed before the squares dried, just in case they wanted to "hold on"

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Any thoughts on turning the pieces?

Yeah.. alot of thought. I'm still intimidated by the whole process though. Making the pieces actually match. 16 pawns... all the same? I'm sure it will take a lot of work to make them an actual set, with out some kind of duplicator. Carving the knights are also daunting... I will admit, I did start drawing up some designs for the pieces though.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I asked Clay about that, but he thought it was cheating.

Now Tom.. you didn't say I was smiling when I said that ;-) I do like those pieces, and still seriously considering them. The determing factor will be if (or when) I throw my hands up in the air on a pattern. There is still much to learn. I will try a trial piece, and see what happens.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Clay, how did you make the bevel cuts on the individual squares? Inquiring minds want to know.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS