Chessboard project

sgtdave

New User
Dave
I am making a chess board and have some design concerns involving glue-up. The board will be made of 2 or 2.5 inch squares. It will have a thin beaded on top frame and then a wider frame about 2 inches on all 4 sides. Question is concerned about glueing the squares. No matter how you look at it, there has to be some edge glueing on opposite sides of the squares. To strengthen the whole board, I thought about putting a support under the board. A flat surface onto which the whole board will be glued. Not aure what to glue those together with - Titebond, Contact cement, poly???????? Anybody got suggestions or any pther ideas?

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I want you to know I saw your post. I also have to let you know that I'm not seeing your design in my head. Are you doing this board like an end grain cutting board? If so, all your glue will be on edge grain.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If you are cutting all the individual squares before glue up I'd consider that the "hard" way to make a chess board. Way too much work.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
No not like that. you are making it hard. I know how to make the board. Cutting strips the length of the chessboard. Glue alternate strips, light and dark. Cut accross the big square and re-position the strips to make squares. All I am worried about is that over time wherever edge grain is glued it may eventually fail. I just was asking if it would be more stable if I glued the whole completed board on top of a piece of thin Baltic birch or something. Or is that even necessary?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I glued my game boards (1/4" thick) to Baltic birch (3/8" thick). Used regular titebond yellow glue.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Spot on. that's what i thought. I just haven't done it before and figured that would be the best way to strengthen the overall board. Your response is reassuring. Thank you.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Im interested in this Dave as I have plans to make one also. I was going to make the top about a 1/2" so I didnt have to use a backer board. Please keep us informed on your progress

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I will let you know. I will make mine at least 1/2 inch or more. Still considering backer board.

A backer board is a good idea even with thicker square pieces. Liquid hide glue is pretty good too and a glue repair is pretty easy if needed.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The squares should be about 25% larger than the the base diameter of the king. Just a rough guideline. Do you have your chess set already or you'll make the board and buy the chess set to fit?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I made a chess board. Step one glue strips the exact width you want black, white,black, white. Cutting board style. (Not end grain). Then cross cut the strips and flip every other one chessboard style. Glue up. Not fun, but done.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
here is my process. (I've made several) I rip 8 strips. 4 of each color. 2 of these (one of each color) I make a bit wider, maybe 1/4-1/2" wider. these are the outer strips. all strips are longer than needed. I don't worry about thickness so long as they are all the same. glue them up. cross cut to size keeping in mind that I want 2 of these a bit wider than the rest. the 2 go to the outside. I rip a slot in one side of the wide cross cuts and both sides of the other 6. this is for splines as these will glue up as end grain to end grain. glue up this mess and let dry. then I run one side through the drum sander to make one side nice and flat. glue the flat side to some 1/2" Baltic birch or MDF if you prefer, letting the board over lap the substrate just a little on one side. now you have all 4 sides with larger squares. Now I rip using the board as a strait edge making one side correct. then rip the other side making those 2 side match the center squares. Then using my sled I cut one end to the right size. then set my TS fence for the final rip. now the squares are all the same size and the substrate is flush with the board. now I add my boarders and what ever other fancy things I want to add and run the finished side through the drum sander. Route the edges sand and finish.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Good topic. My brother recently asked me if I could make a board and chess set. I told him I certainly could make a board, but not the chess set.

What has anyone done for the chess set/pieces?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Good topic. My brother recently asked me if I could make a board and chess set. I told him I certainly could make a board, but not the chess set.

What has anyone done for the chess set/pieces?

Take a look around here. Lots of choices and sizes.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As most have already pointed out, to avoid gluing end-grain you'll need to make the end-grain the top and bottom of the pieces. Like in an end-grain cutting board. This also solves most of your wood movement issues.

I however would use veneer on a plywood substrate - much simpler and so many options for the design aspects.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS