Chessboard -- Finally completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I finally got the handles attached this evening. I'm calling this one complete. Thanks to everyone that guided me through finishing this piece. I couldn't be happier with the lacquer over the shellac. Especially to Johh, who pointed out that if I didn't spray it, I would gunk up all of the chamfers. I decided to go with some smaller brass handles and put 2 on each side of the drawer instead of one in the middle. I am happy with the outcome with this project. If you have never done veneer or inlay, this project would be something to interest you. Again the basic plan came from Woodsmith issue 132. Now, I gotta learn to play a decent game of chess. At least I will look like I know what I am doing! Thanks for looking. Pictures of the whole process in my gallery.

complete_top.jpg

complete_top2.jpg

complete_top3.jpg

T

toolferone

Fantastic Clay!!!!!!!!!! A game of skill on a board made by a skilled woodworker. This one is allready a family heirloom.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Clay, will you bring it to Hickory this weekend? I have to see that in person.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I do intend to bring it to the show for display. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol: What's with the alternating wood colors on top??? haha...AWESOME, Clay. Thanks for sharing those pix...

J

jeff...

Clay thats a work of art man. Don't ever let it go, it's already a family heirloom. WOW is all I can say :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fine, Fine work Clay!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

And, thanks for the play-by-play of its creation! Inspired a lot of us, I am sure!

Wayne

skeeter

New User
Charles
That's one awesome board, and some fancy craftsmanship too! You should be very proud of the way it came out.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Beautiful work Clay:eusa_clap :eusa_danc ! You should be very proud of the craftsmanship on that chessboard! Very deserving of a display at the show in Hickory!!
Take care,

sapwood

New User
Roger
A beautifully crafted chessboard Clay. I can already see that project hanging on my 2007 NCWWer calendar ;-)

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Beautiful work Clay:eusa_clap :eusa_danc ! You should be very proud of the craftsmanship on that chessboard! Very deserving of a display at the show in Hickory!!
Take care,

And maybe in the calendar competition..... Nice work Clay.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Absolutely beautiful Clay. The detail and workmanship that went into that piece is evident throughout. I wish I could make it to Hickory to see it!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS