Chess Board - Advice - Help

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I am new to wood working; however, I enjoy challenges. One of my first projects this year was making a chess board. It provided plenty of challenges for sure. I chose this project for several reasons. 1) My son and I play chess and thought a board would be a nice gift. 2) Thought I would learn a great deal of skills and by doing this project. (Wood selection, table saw use, clamping, gluing, biscuit joinery, routing, use of cauls, sanding, and different finishes. 3) One of our members is my neighbor and had excellent advice and collaboration with me along the way.

The picture below is of the completed Board. ~18x18 ¾” thick made from Walnut and Hard Maple.

1623096547922.png

This board came out really nice not perfect, however above what I expected for a first project.
So, I thought I would make another one for myself. And this is where I am learning that woodworking is teaching me humility. The 2nd board is not as “friendly” as the first. The boards strips are bowing. I am about to put biscuits in and then glue and clamp to get it straight and flat.

I am anticipating that I won’t be able to get all the bowing out and will need to plane it down to get it flat.

Does anyone have a planer or drum sander large enough to handle an 18x 18” ¾” board and would provide that service if I need that?

Any thoughts on this project? Advice and input greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Linc

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Thanks for your response Mike. Took one strip to show the variance. Left and right line up on straight edge. Let me know if this helps.

Attachments

• EC823CA0-433C-4F17-AEBD-C67519328613.jpeg
    EC823CA0-433C-4F17-AEBD-C67519328613.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Chess board looks beautiful! Just to clarify, the board isn't bowed once glued up, right? Because if it is still bowed, running it through a planer or drum sander will result in a still bowed but slightly thinner chess board.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Chess board looks beautiful! Just to clarify, the board isn't bowed once glued up, right? Because if it is still bowed, running it through a planer or drum sander will result in a still bowed but slightly thinner chess board.
Richard, thank you for your question and compliment. I am just learning about how wood is effected by the environment. This is the first time I have see bowing prior to glue up. I wont know until glue up happens this weekend. I am using 3 biscuits per strip and hope that will fix it. I brought the piece into the house to see if the humidity change does anything and placed it under a 5 gallon water bottle, also considering damp towel and hot iron? Saw that on internet, however I would take advice from this group on that method. I appreciate your insights and advice.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have flattened many things with the drum sander including dozens of chessboards. Planner no, sander yes. They are different animals.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Linc, can you flatten the strip by pressing it down? If so, you could alternate the bows up and down to counteract the deflection. Unless this messes up the final appearance of the grain in the board.

Roy G

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Linc, can you flatten the strip by pressing it down? If so, you could alternate the bows up and down to counteract the deflection. Unless this messes up the final appearance of the grain in the board.

Roy G
Thanks Roy, I thought about that, however I have placed them so that there are tight fits and corners align etc..

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
I made one years ago and I would suggest that you glue the tiles into a backing board, similar to the top of mine.
Don't know if you scroll saw, but if you do, you may want to add the 3D pieces.
ChessBoard-4.jpg

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
This is amazing!! I was just thinking I need some where to keep the pieces now. I am not at the level to consider making pieces yet. I may attempt creating a base with the drawer for the pieces. If I did glue it to a backing board, I am fairly certain the bowing would be gone. Is there a drawer on both sides?

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
The drawer pushes all the way through with compartments on both sides for the pieces.
Also, you may want to add the narrow inlay around the board. Gives it a nice touch. Also the beveled tiles. Just a suggestion.
Good luck with whatever you make.

Roy

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
The drawer pushes all the way through with compartments on both sides for the pieces.
Also, you may want to add the narrow inlay around the board. Gives it a nice touch. Also the beveled tiles. Just a suggestion.
Good luck with whatever you make.

Roy
Thanks Roy, If you have some time to share more pics I would love to see more detail. I appreciate your input!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS