Cherry Shaker-style side table

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
SWMBO has been using a stool for a small side table, and I finally got around to making something more appropriate.

It's made from a single 8/4 cherry board that I bought from GPS Hardwoods. The finish is Enduro-Var II satin and paste wax. Overall dimensions are roughly 20"x12"x20". It's not going to stay by the sofa, but this picture gives you a feel for the size.

14_final.jpg

15_in_place.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
Yes! Now that's woodworking! Agree that simplicity and elegance are the watchwords. Is that all hand tools? including the tapered legs?

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Really nice Matt! I like the proportions. How much overhang do you have for the top over the aprons?

Trey1984

Trey
User
SWMBO has been using a stool for a small side table, and I finally got around to making something more appropriate.

It's made from a single 8/4 cherry board that I bought from GPS Hardwoods. The finish is Enduro-Var II satin and paste wax. Overall dimensions are roughly 20"x12"x20". It's not going to stay by the sofa, but this picture gives you a feel for the size.

View attachment 210496

View attachment 210497
Very nice!Beautiful work!

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nice looking table! Very clean design and the cherry has the most prominent grain I've seen. It really stands out.

Haven't made any small tables (yet), so I'm curious. Did you peg the legs to the aprons, or use screws and cover them with plugs?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
And that was all hand tool only?
Is that all hand tools? including the tapered legs?
All of the milling and joinery was by hand, but I used a drill press for the peg holes.

How much overhang do you have for the top over the aprons?
Roughly 1¼", which is the same as the maximum leg thickness.

Did you peg the legs to the aprons, or use screws and cover them with plugs?
They're pegged with cherry pegs that I made with a DFM Tool Works dowel plate.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I mean this in the most positive way possible. There is nothing simple about Shaker style furniture There is a reason(s) Shaker style furniture is so pleasing to the eye. There is true artistry in the furniture.

Matt your table is really very nice.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS