Cherry Segmented Urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I added two pictures to my gallery of a segmented urn I finished last weekend that I made for my wife's birthday. I call it a "Cherry" segmented urn because the largest amount of wood in it is cherry. There are quite a few other woods as well, ash, padauk, bloodwood, chakte kok, yellowheart, redheart, purpleheart, tambootie, zebrawood, yellow locust, walnut and some dyed and plain veneers.

Overall size is 6 1/2" tall and 8 1/2" diameter. The wall thickness is about 5/16" at the top and gradually increases until it is almost a 1/2" at the bottom.

I would post pics with the thread but I do not know how....:-(

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,

Stunning work Mike. You've raised the bar at NC Woodworker gallery.:!:

Check for my posts on the "For Sale" forum. I may have to give up woodworking now :oops:

Appreciatively,
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OH,MY GAUD!!!!!!!!!! That is incredible. Your wife is very lucky to be the recipient of such a work of art. How long did the glue up take? How did you do the circular patterns? Dowels?? I agree with sapwood, I may as well just sell my lathe now, except it's over 60 yrs. old and a POS that I'm borrowing. That is beyond a great job, just awesome. Thanks for humbling us all. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Steve, thanks for the picture posting explanation that makes it idiot proof. Unfortunately you are not dealing with an ordinary idiot.....:lol: I will try to post a picture following your instructions in this reply.

The picture if it is there shows all the parts for the cherry segmented urn prior to assembly and turning.

Starting at the bottom there is an 8/4 block that serves as the urn's bottom and provides the tenon for the chuck to grasp.

Next is the compound mitered staved bowl section. The bottom fits here

After that is the feature ring assembly consisting of layers of veneer plywood, color rings, and the feature ring itself. It is easier to maintain alignment by gluing this assembly together in one piece prior to any turning.

Lastly, the top ring is glued on top of the feature ring assembly.

And yes, the colored flowers are made by inserting plugs of colored woods in drilled holes.
work4.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ok, that explains it some. I thought that if you used dowels for the flowers, then turned them they would come out as ellipses. But now I see that they remain on a relatively flat plane and aren't turned very convex. Congrats on posting pics. And thank-you for the "exploded" view (sorry that is probably a very bad term to use in conjunction with turning). Your work is stunning and you are an inspiration to us all. I am proud to be a member of a forum that includes such fine craftsmen. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS