Cherry jewelry box with secret latch and hidden compartments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Just finished a graduation gift for one of my nieces, a cherry jewelry box/chest with some secret (shh!) and hidden features. I may eventually upload some additional photos here, but for the moment here are a few to give a overview, and here's a link to a youtube video that walks through some of the features: https://youtu.be/vRqgvAy1Zg4. The video's about 16 minutes long, and ends rather abruptly, as my camera reached a file-size limit. :confused:

Enjoy!

--dave

Attachments

• IMG_9012.jpg
    IMG_9012.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_8982.jpg
    IMG_8982.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 202

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dave, That’s an impressive box. Actually, calling it a box is truly an understatement.

BTW, “one of my nieces “ kind of scares me. You’re a good uncle and, if you have to do this again, what in the world are you planning for your next trick?

llucas

luke
Senior User
Dave, that is fantastic. Great forethought and excellent design elements. Thanks for sharing.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave,
AMAZING!
I couldn't watch the whole thing, and was amazed with with I got to see!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW! I am sure she will enjoy that for decades.
So, Dave, the burning question is - how long did it take her to figure it out?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful job, Dave. :eusa_clap Did you design it yourself or use a plan? Either way, its excellent craftsmanship.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Dave, That’s an impressive box. Actually, calling it a box is truly an understatement.

BTW, “one of my nieces “ kind of scares me. You’re a good uncle and, if you have to do this again, what in the world are you planning for your next trick?

, thanks. Actually, this was niece number four of five to graduate, all sisters, so that expectation was set long back. Each of them has gotten a jewelry box tailored to them and their personality... The earlier ones are also documented on the forum; if you search my topics you can find pics. For the very first one, the lid of the box had a cross-stitched panel that my wife had made. She has continued to make a cross-stitch for each graduate, as well, although we decided that trying to incorporate them into the jewelry boxes limited us both as to design choices.

Your point is taken though... I made the comment to one of the older girls that her younger siblings were definitely benefiting from from my and my wife's skills and ambitions increasing as we progress through the graduations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwminnich

New User
Dave
WOW! I am sure she will enjoy that for decades.
So, Dave, the burning question is - how long did it take her to figure it out?

Ha! She won't get it until Sunday, and I've got the same burning question. We just pulled into town yesterday, and the mutual teasing and ribbing was intense yesterday... This particular niece is a bit of a trickster, hence the design. I told her last night after a particular exchange, "I'm glad you're validating all my design choices." Then I wouldn't elaborate, and she started to get worried. Ah, the job of the tormenting uncle never ends.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Beautiful job, Dave. :eusa_clap Did you design it yourself or use a plan? Either way, its excellent craftsmanship.

Thanks, Bill, I designed it myself, but I was inspired by, and borrowed liberally from a number of boxes I found on YouTube. In the description of the video on YouTube there's a link to a playlist of videos that gave me ideas and inspiration. Since this one was more complex than anything I'd attempted before, I designed everything in Sketchup in order to work out all the bugs in CAD.

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Very nice gift Dave - I'm sure she will be thrilled with it. I enjoyed meeting you at the Fletcher Klingspor store and discussing your progress on this a few weeks ago. Enjoy your trip and know we will all want to hear of her reaction!

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Very nice gift Dave - I'm sure she will be thrilled with it. I enjoyed meeting you at the Fletcher Klingspor store and discussing your progress on this a few weeks ago. Enjoy your trip and know we will all want to hear of her reaction!

Good to meet you too, Rob. Sorry I didn't make it up to the club meeting, but I needed the time to get this completed. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors