Cherry Dresser Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Finished my cherry dresser in time for Christmas. Gift to my wife.

finished dresser1.jpgfinisheddresser2.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Very nice.

And I'm happy to see an upswing in finished projects being posted. Makes me want to get back into the shop.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff:
Nicely done (especially the timeframe - I am jealous about projects done in time - not my strong suit). Can you tell us anymore about build or finish details?
Glued up panel carcase or edged plywood?
Doesn't look stained and I like the color. What sort of finish did you use?
Purchased plans or your own design?

Henry

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
My design but matches a cherry chest of drawers I made earlier from the same batch of wood. I got the wood from Glen. Natural finish with polyurethane (satin), brushed two coats, and wipe on, 3 coats. Solid cherry with floating side panels and top. Bottom and center divider are 3/4 15 ply birch plywood, edged with cherry, for strength and stability. Also small band of walnut at top and bottom for character. Drawers are 1/2 birch ply.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ahh yes, I opened up the pictures and saw them in larger size, and now appreciate the design and construction more. Nicely done.
- If the drawers are 9-ply plywood, what was your drawer box joinery? Butt joints? Sliding miter? dovetail? lock miter?
- I presume the knobs are walnut too?
- Link to previous build (I know I could search your posts, which I will do...)

Thanks for posting, and the detail.

Henry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work there. Love the cherry drawer fronts and the finish really lets the curl pop!

I too am interested in the type of joinery you used and the supplication of the walnut accents on the top.

Wayne

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Rabbet joints at the corners and a 1/4 ply dado for bottoms. Knobs are antiqued brass that looks like walnut.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
No fancy joinery, i.e. dove tails. Simple birch drawer boxes with cherry fronts screwed on. Much simpler build but will last a long time. Solid cherry side panels are floating in dados and solid top is designed to expand/contract with the weather. I also used metal drawer glides which are very smooth and strong. Just my style for basic furniture.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love cherry furniture and that is very well done. My last Xmas project turned into a Mother's Day gift. Congrats on getting it done on schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS