Cherry drawer boxes

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
When a customer urgently needs drawers which cannot be purchased anywhere and your supplier runs out of paint grade Maple, I guess we have no other option but dig into the stack of Cherry lumber.

CAF14F53-0EA4-4F87-A658-F822B5DB2D4B.jpeg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Please don't tell me you're going to paint them

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Please don't tell me you're going to paint them
LOL, nope. The way I do drawer boxes is assemble dry without the pre finished ply base, spray clear coats. Then, take apart and assemble with the base inserted and the dovetail joints glued. Finally cut the bottom slide notches on the shaper and drill the slide location holes with a Blum jig.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
LOL, nope. The way I do drawer boxes is assemble dry without the pre finished ply base, spray clear coats. Then, take apart and assemble with the base inserted and the dovetail joints glued. Finally cut the bottom slide notches on the shaper and drill the slide location holes with a Blum jig.
Nice method, great way to finish the inside and not worry about the glue squeeze-out. I just got worried when you said your supplier ran out of "paint grade" maple.

TB2

New User
Kent
Willem, May I ask where you get your lumber and supply’s? In the cabinet business myself in Wadesboro and get mine from Rugby’s. Haven’t checked on paint grade lately been on a bunch of oak cabinets. But will tomorrow. Have a large set around corner for a 250 year old estate. Painted of course light green. Staying period. Thanks

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem, May I ask where you get your lumber and supply’s? In the cabinet business myself in Wadesboro and get mine from Rugby’s. Haven’t checked on paint grade lately been on a bunch of oak cabinets. But will tomorrow. Have a large set around corner for a 250 year old estate. Painted of course light green. Staying period. Thanks

$500 minimum order.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Willem - What do you use to make your dovetails? Those are good looking joints, especially on that long of a span. I have an old Craftsman jig and I'm looking to upgrade.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem - What do you use to make your dovetails? Those are good looking joints, especially on that long of a span. I have an old Craftsman jig and I'm looking to upgrade.
Those were done on a Leigh Super jig, single pass.

Means one pass with the router cuts both the tails and the pins. In different English, one drawer side and one drawer end gets milled together with a single router pass.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS