Cherry Crotch From Firewood Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I was hoping this crotch would be better, but I guess it could be worse. I 'think' the defects will turn out on the left one, maybe the right one also. Problem is, it's ~16" across and I have a Jet Mini!:no:

What you folks do with these hunks? :eusa_thin

EPSN0007.jpg

EPSN0005.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ken... best thing to do is get rid of it. If you send it to me, I'll "dispose of it". :gar-Bi Or I guess if you decide to keep it you might be able to get a couple of smaller bowls or boxes out of it. :icon_thum

Good snag Ken! Jeff Mills loves it when we find uses for "ugly" wood. :rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a NICE looking piece of wood. :eek: If you had a bigger lathe, you could attach a faceplate to the flat side and go at it. :BangHead:

I would say mail it to me, but I've only got 12" clearance. :BangHead: :rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
you have a lot of potential there
I bet you could find someone with a larger lathe willing to share some time on it. Mine has 14" swing if you can't find an offer closer and want to go that route.
You can turn some fine things on a mini. Lots of mini size blanks in there.
What to do with this is a good problem to have.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think the nicest grain is in the piece below the one you cut open. If it is in the pile, you may want to slice it open too. The straight trunk right below a crotch has great swirly irradescent grain usually. Stumps are another likely spot for nice looking figure. When I cut up a tree, I try to leave a foot below the crotch so I can section the whole thing if I want into some nice looking wood. The forend of an old double barrel in my gun rack is made from one of these firewood pieces.

Jim

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
"From the firewood pile" , I'm assuming it was free...
I'd mark out the largest blanks my Jet Mini would handle and have at it, and see what turns out.Could be jewels,could be junk. :wink_smil

Phil.

Dragon

New User
David
A little mortise and tenon work and a set of cherry branches to go with it and you'd have a great looking table to set a lamp on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS