Cherry Coffee & end tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've got a cherry coffee & two end tables to build. I want to keep them simple... but with drawers. My hesitation is the width of the approns in relationship to the table itself. I dont want the table to be out of proportion. But if i'm going to build drawers i want them deep enough to be functional also...

For coffee & end tables with drawers what a good apron width or ratio?

Thanks

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
That is a tough question.

Here are the last ones I built.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52452

For a single drawer, I normally aim between 2 3/4 to 3" and would double that for two drawers. I try to use the golden rule for all my proportions and that normally works for me.

Best advice I can give you is google side tables and look at 100's of pictures until you see something you really like. Then use that for inspiration to come up with your own design.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You can make the drawer almost full depth of the apron by dovetailing cross bar supports into the legs then let the drawer front cover the bars. If the other aprons are 3 1/2 inch then You can get a 2 1/4 inch drawer this way.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That is a tough question.

Here are the last ones I built.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52452

For a single drawer, I normally aim between 2 3/4 to 3" and would double that for two drawers. I try to use the golden rule for all my proportions and that normally works for me.

Best advice I can give you is google side tables and look at 100's of pictures until you see something you really like. Then use that for inspiration to come up with your own design.

Those are nice - im not going that fancy :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A 4" w apron will be fine and you can build the drawers with enough vertical depth for a Bible.

apron:mills.jpg

apron:drawer:mills.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me see if I can find a picture of the ones I made. I think the proportions came out pretty good.

2014-09-01_17_12_17_800x532_.jpg

2014-10-13_10_56_17_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0372_800x532_1.jpg

DSC_0406_800x532_1.jpg

Not the greatest pictures in the world, but they show the drawers the best of the bunch. QSWO Fumed. The tops are swamp oak hence the mineral streaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS