Cherry buffet - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I have been meaning to post for a while now, but I am working on this so much that I haven't had time. This is modeled after a Garrett Hack designed huntboard he made in 2006. I did change the sides quite a bit. There is going to be african blackwood beading attached to the rails and stiles on the side assemblies and doors to frame out the curly cherry panels. The top will be two sequentially cut pieces of curly cherry.

front5.jpg

The legs have a primary taper to the cuff banding and a secondary taper from the banding to the toe. I used taper jigs on the bandsaw and hand planed down the rest of the way.

inlay2.jpg

I want to give Matt Furjanic a huge thank you for making the cuff banding exactly to specifications and offering much help and advice on how to install it. Hack said he cut it with a chisel on a 45 degree guide block, but I found that crushed the fragile point of the miter. Matt suggested a simple guide on a disc sander that was perfect!

Here is a close up of the joinery for the top front stretcher. It is all hand cut. It was definitely an exercise in patience.

front_stretcher.jpg

I've still got alot of work to do, but I am starting to get excited. Sorry for the blurry pictures.

Amy

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wow Amy! That's looking good. I can't wait to see this one progress. The cuffs really help the piece. Nice DTs too!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is wonderful..

Way to use those hand tools... Nad planning the legs by hand, wow that is some work there and you did such a wonderful job~!

YOU ROCK~!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Double Dovetail delight! Its a shame that will be hidden when the top goes on.

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!

yes, I screamed, so what? the work deserves it! :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work, Amy!:wsmile:

A very delicate looking design and will add sparkle to any room, for sure.

Awaiting pictures of the final product.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The asymetric (sp?) dovetails really are outstanding. Instead of M&T, I guess that is M&J ("Mutt and Jeff" :) ).
:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Nice indeed! :eusa_clap

I feel your pain on cutting the inlay, I ended up making a sled like the one you describe to 45 the edges of inlay on my Rigid OS.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Beautiful work Amy! That is going to turn out wonderfully. I really like those dovetails. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors