Cherry buffet - finally finished!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I finally finished the cherry buffet after more than 350 hrs. Here is a picture of the final piece:

front7.jpg

The top was some beautiful figured cherry:

curly-top.jpg

This design was based on a Garrett Hack huntboard in Fine Woodworking:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignPDF.aspx?id=27122

I did change the look of the sides quite a bit to match the doors:

side4.jpg

The top, panels, and drawer fronts are figured cherry. The dark wood around the panels and for the pulls is african blackwood. The rest of the case is straight grained cherry.

This project involved many firsts for me - first time to make double tapered legs, first time to install cuff banding, first time to make and use a scratch stock, first time to make dovetailed drawers, and first time to make pulls.

I wanted to thank the Hardwood Store of NC for the beautiful cherry and Woodcraft and NCWood for the African Blackwood. Matt Furjanic made the custom cuff banding quickly and precisely and he even offered suggestions for installation.

I learned more from this project than any project that I have ever attempted. I am very happy that the customers are so pleased with the piece. They do some woodworking and really appreciate the beauty of the wood.

Amy

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
In a word, spectacular. It's not just the wood or the craftsmanship, I love the design. Elegant, with lots of fine details without being gaudy or overpowering.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Please remember to take some pictures with a suitable background for the 2011 calendar!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
GOODNESS THat IS BEA-UTIFUL~!

WOW I am just SpeAKLess and my voice keeps cracking, Or MayBe itS my TyPinG

Serioursly Beautiful Work, beautiful piece, and wonderful looking cherry. And now come on, those things couldn't have been a first for you~! And if they are, like you said they were, then by golly your a Natural~!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Perfect - Absolutely perfect :icon_cheers :icon_thum I am hoping I get to see more photos Thanks for sharing

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
WOW!!!!! very pretty wood and outstanding craftsmanship Amy.:icon_thum Very well done.:notworthy:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Amy you did a fantastic job! It was great to see it in progress during the crawl. To those that missed the crawl, this is another reason to go on them.

I would like to see a picture of your customer's face when you unveil it.

Doug

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Now That I would have to call "ART". I don't care who you are you just have to admire the craftsmanship in a piece of fine furniture like that. Basset/Broyhill and the other big name big dollar furniture makers that are in mass production can not hold a candle that kind of craftsmanship. i wish I had half the talent that is displayed in this piece of "ART". Thanks for sharing such beauty. Steve

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely gorgeous piece of furniture. I'm glad we got to see it in progress. Such beautiful wood and superb craftsmanship! Great job Amy!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Amy, that is a beautiful piece. As others have said, this goes beyond woodworking to art. Outstanding work for a young woodworker. That is some really nice cherry too. The customer has to be happy with such an over-the-top piece. I guess you hate to let it go, I would.

M

McRabbet

A superb piece of furniture, Amy -- beautifully done! I'm sure your clients are extremely pleased with your work and hope they compensated you adequately for your effort. Be sure to enter this one in the 2011 Calendar contest!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Amy,

Congratulations! The piece is just beautiful and all of your attention to detail and care really shows through. I'm glad that I got to see it in various stages of construction. I know you will enjoy your upcoming trip even more now.

Happy New Year,

Bob

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Amy, that is OUTSTANDING! :eek: That is one of the most beautiful pieces of furniture I've ever seen! Excellent work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

nelsone

New User
Ed
Amy you really made a beautiful piece of furniture!!! But I knew it would be when I saw it during the shop crawl. That top is spectacular! It will only get better as all that cherry darkens!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Gorgeous work there, Amy!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I too think that this piece is definitely a prime candidate for our next calendar contest.

Your close attention to detail, great design and awesome wood selection coupled with your craftsmanship have all hit a home run!

Thanks for sharing the final product.

Wayne

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow!! Stunning!! Amy, you are truly a master crafts(wo)man. I can hardly wait to see what you create in the future. You make me be just a wannabe with your talent.:icon_thum:eusa_danc:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS