Cheese Board Mania! aka Charcuterie Boards - with updates

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
So when we took a break from building furniture toward the end of last year, we produced about 40 cheese boards, most about 7" X 10" using a variety of wood species. Here are photos of about half of them. All of the colors seen are natural wood colors modified only by the mineral oil and wax finish. This project was really fun and mostly low stress. You can probably guess which ones were not. :)
Thanks for Looking.
Bob & Jean

IMG_1269.jpgIMG_1418.jpgIMG_1421.jpgIMG_1422 (1).jpgIMG_1419.jpgIMG_1420.jpgIMG_1424.jpgIMG_1425.jpgIMG_1426.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1431.jpgIMG_1432.jpgIMG_1433.jpgIMG_1434.jpgIMG_1435.jpgIMG_1436.jpgIMG_1437.jpgIMG_1438.jpgIMG_1338 (2).jpgIMG_1267 (2).jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1339 (2).jpg

Last edited:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bob, all of those look fantastic. I think I need to come take some lessons on making some of those patterns.
We'd love to plan a get together for that very purpose. I just don't know when I'll feel more comfortable about the virus issues even though we're fully vaccinated. I guess for openers all who want to attend would need to be fully vaccinated. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, all of those look fantastic. I think I need to come take some lessons on making some of those patterns.
I was thinking the same thing!
I kind of know the mechanics, but these take it to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL! (why am I not surprised?!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Superb work and very unique designs. I love the wine glass one, but it is hard to pick out a favorite!

mikeh74

New User
Mike
These are much more complicated than anything I have ever done. Well done! I could use a lesson too.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been to the vet and had my shots :D. If you decide to give some instruction/classes I would like to come.

JonB

Jon
User
Those all look great but I'd be a bit concerned with the cross grain glue ups, those are a failure waiting to happen.

Bill J

Bill
User
Wow - Just Wow! I make a lot of boards and can see the time that went into planning and making these. I love the fact that you use a lot of curves and non-linear shapes.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Beautiful.......... but you mis-named these. These are not cutting boards, they are wall hangings ;)

Super Nice !

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Those all look great but I'd be a bit concerned with the cross grain glue ups, those are a failure waiting to happen.
We did glue ups using Titebond 3 and then destructive tests. Pure end grain to end grain was not too strong although better than expected. In this case we inserted loose piece tenons. In all of the other designs, there is plenty of strength. Look closely and you'll see straight grain pieces inserted for overall strength.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Thank you all for looking at our work and for your kind comments. We might be able to offer a workshop this fall. In the meantime, we're going to do a few larger ones soon to use as table tops and we'll photograph the steps as we go. BTW, we learned the non-linear process on youtube.
Bob and Jean.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS