Checking out my grandfather's carpentry tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thav

Tony
Senior User
Visiting my parents and grandparents this week. My grandpa worked construction and still has some of his old tools.

The Stanley is my grandpa's, the Sears is my dad's from the nineties. Both sharpened up really well. I brought a bunch of grits of sandpaper for that very purpose.
IMG_20140918_142906092.jpg

Some bit braces and adjustable bits. Will definitely get a brace and one of these bits for myself.
IMG_20140918_143000535.jpg

I haven't seen this type before. Still counts as egg beater style I guess.
IMG_20140918_143112373.jpg

Most interested in this one. There are some missing pieces, but don't know what. It looks like that T part may be part of the fence? I certainly need to find an iron for it.
20140918_145128.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tony,
Were you just looking or did you "Acquire" these?
as far as the Stanley 191 Looks like you are missing the blade and the fence screw on your 191, but completely fixable rabbet plane!
There should be a spur (an upgrade to the #78) on the "right" side of the plane (the one down on the bench in the picture)

Here is some more informaiton;
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan13.htm

Thav

Tony
Senior User
Hank,

I will probably take possession of all of it next time my parents drive down to NC, except for the No 4 and 5 planes at the top. Thanks for the information on the rabbet plane. Looks like there are a lot of model numbers I can search for for a suitable replacement blade. I'm sure the missing bolts can be replaced without too much trouble.

I'm also getting a push drill and ratcheting driver, but I didn't get pictures of those.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I have a spare iron from a 78 that may fit your rabbet plane... Drop me a note it you want to try it. I am in Cary.

Andrew

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The t-shaped part is a depth stop, I don't think that model had a fence. I see the screw for the cap, all you need is a blade.

On closer inspection I see the cap should have an adjustment screw to lever against the blade.

Be careful, Stanley screws are not always standard thread sizes.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The t-shaped part is a depth stop, I don't think that model had a fence. I see the screw for the cap, all you need is a blade.

On closer inspection I see the cap should have an adjustment screw to lever against the blade.

Be careful, Stanley screws are not always standard thread sizes.

Mike is right about the fence - I was thinking #78 - the 191 only has a depth stop (and nicker - we can't see as that is on the side of the tapped hole for the fence)

As for the cap screw, here is an example;

4205050_1_l.jpg

And the depth stop screw; (good view of the nicker as well)
Stanley190boxed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS