checkers anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this is almost finishes. I have about 20 hours in it. its walnut and ash [mostly from my scrap bin] the ash is from a lumber run 2 years ago and the walnut is from the 1$ a foot deal sawduster set up.:icon_thum it has 2 coats of danish oil and will get a couple more. :gar-Bi I made checkers and will be attempting to make chess pieces later. the inside will be segmented to fit the pieces and I have trays for the checkers glued up now. hope to have this completed for the calendar contest but.......:dontknow:
IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

thanks for lookin.

timf67

New User
Tim
That's awesome! My brother has been asking me to make him one of those for a few years now. How did you do the board? Did you cut the sqaures and glue them to a plywood backer? Also, if you find or make some good chess pieces let me know! I would love to make them on the lathe, but I don't think the pawns would all look the same... :nah:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That's awesome! My brother has been asking me to make him one of those for a few years now. How did you do the board? Did you cut the sqaures and glue them to a plywood backer? Also, if you find or make some good chess pieces let me know! I would love to make them on the lathe, but I don't think the pawns would all look the same... :nah:

I riped strips and glued then cross cut reversed every other one and glued again. the endgrain glueup should be fine as it is surounded by solid wood and the edges are biscuited to the board. I wanted to be able to see the board from the bottom.:dontknow: there will be felt in the bottom of the case. I dont care much for plywood that will be seen.:no: I'm wrapping my head around turning the pieces so we'll see how that progresses.:gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice, Fred!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Good combination of woods for that rich color.

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice Work Fred! I couldn't do that in 20 weeks!:BangHead:
I am looking forward to seeing the pieces you make.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Great job on the checker table! :icon_thum Keep it going so you can finish before the contest is up. Its looking fantastic and I can't wait to see it when it is done!!:eusa_danc

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Dang Fred,

That is Sweet! And so are the stools and the pedestal table leg. Wow all of that in 20hrs?

Yikes I need to get my act together! or come and learn how you all do it so fast!

Thanks for sharing and making me drool~!

IMG_1205.JPG

sawduster

New User
Robert
Dood !!!! :elvis: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I was fortunate enough to see some of the wip on this and I can easily believe 20 hrs .
If you've ever seen Fred at work you would believe it as well . I watched him take 4 curved pieces of walnut cut from the bandsaw ( the offcuts were still on the deck ) , one beautifully turned pedestal and very quickly and methodically cut mortise and tenons and fit those legs perfectly to the base, all the time chatting and joking and just being Fred :mrgreen:
it was amazing! it was like one part of his brain was tuned into his process and on auto-pilot as far as his procedures. He marked, he cut, he drilled, he chiseled, he marked, he cut, he test-fitted, he cut again, he sanded a little bit and shazaam he had legs on that table ! :icon_scra
It was amazing to watch believe me :eek:

Fred you are truly a craftsman bro :notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS