Checker Board

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Maybe someday I'll grow up to be a Chessboard.....

It's been a while since I had any time in the garage with wood tools out. Much longer since the last Chessboard that was done in High school shop
Made by request from 7 yr old Granddaughter - I think it'll end up as a family gift.

Planer, Jointer, Drum Sander sure would be nice but got it done with Table Saw and #5 Plane with some card scraper help before the sand paper came out.
Maple, Walnut, Padauk and Katalox.

1607557425770.png

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
That is a really nice board... I would love to know the details of how you constructed it. Is the board inset or does it sit on top? What did you do to the underside. Do you have any progress pics?
Asking because I have made a few and am interested in better methods....
Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Maybe someday I'll grow up to be a Chessboard.....

It's been a while since I had any time in the garage with wood tools out. Much longer since the last Chessboard that was done in High school shop
Made by request from 7 yr old Granddaughter - I think it'll end up as a family gift.

Planer, Jointer, Drum Sander sure would be nice but got it done with Table Saw and #5 Plane with some card scraper help before the sand paper came out.
Maple, Walnut, Padauk and Katalox.

View attachment 198365
Nice job

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
That is a really nice board... I would love to know the details of how you constructed it. Is the board inset or does it sit on top? What did you do to the underside. Do you have any progress pics?
Asking because I have made a few and am interested in better methods....
Thanks
The board is inset to the frame, glued to 1/4" ply that is glued into rabbet in the inside frame

This is the only W.I.P pic - sent to son telling him that it was in progress but "Some Assembly Required" - he asked for instructions....
1607562586305.png

llucas

luke
Senior User
Mark, there is so much to like about that board. I especially like the three dimensional aspects, and the uniqueness of the pieces. My eye is really drawn to the fact that the splines are proud of the surface. Very nice job.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY nicely done!
You said you got it done with Table Saw and #5 Plane with some card scraper help... but how did you make the checkers, lathe and cut and sanded, or ???

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
VERY nicely done!
You said you got it done with Table Saw and #5 Plane with some card scraper help... but how did you make the checkers, lathe and cut and sanded, or ???
A bit simpler than that (but might have used a lathe if I had one) - Cut to thickness on TS, then smoothed with plane before cutting to length and trimming corners to octagonal shape with bench hook, speed square and hand saw a bit of sanding then Beeswax / mineral oil finish as I imagine & 7yr old's little brother and sister will inevitably put them in their mouths

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A bit simpler than that (but might have used a lathe if I had one) - Cut to thickness on TS, then smoothed with plane before cutting to length and trimming corners to octagonal shape with bench hook, speed square and hand saw a bit of sanding then Beeswax / mineral oil finish as I imagine & 7yr old's little brother and sister will inevitably put them in their mouths
AH! when I put on my glasses, I see they are octagonal, not round!
1607618616401.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS