Checker board

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Made this for my mom. Zebrawood,Maple, Mahogany. Tried to make it look antique. Don't know if I succeeded with that one but I like it
IMG_20170924_180556578.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=83933

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Are the squares veneer? I had seem something like this at a store and wondered about the wood movement issues given the frame.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Are the squares veneer? I had seem something like this at a store and wondered about the wood movement issues given the frame.

The squares are solid wood. I am a little concerned about the movement also. Will see how it does

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
The squares are solid wood. I am a little concerned about the movement also. Will see how it does

There has to be someone in the group who can tell us if we should be concerned with the movement, and if so how to handle it. This cant be the first time a framed checkerbaord has been made.

It looks very similar to how you build an end grain cutting board,and then just adding a very nice frame (not knocking the work, just simplifying). My end grains dont SEEM to move much but maybe I just dont notice.

@Mike Davis?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I took a ww course in college and made a checker board. Made the base with glued up flat sawn maple, alternating the growth rings. I cut each individual square (obviously the instructor 's method was you learned better from mistakes) and glued them on and added mitered maple surround, also on top of the base. That whole table would bow an inch up in the middle in the summer and return flat in winter. However no seams opened up. I don't remember if I alternated the grain on the squares but I doubt it.
I would now use mdf or ply as a base and thinner square material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS