Cheap? Diamond stones???

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WELL, WELL, WELL!
I just got a GSE e-mail from Shaaf... what is that you ask?

It is a "Getting started e-mail with a beginner course in carving e-book and their Diamond Sharpening Stone Manual - now if the stones are as good as their customer service...
Might there be just simple list of best to worst stones for either diamond or natural out there? I cannot endure the time and/or torture some of these utube vids take up and still never provide a solid recommendation. Something simple like this would be beneficial to me.

Ciao ... Dorm
GREAT idea!!!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Might there be just simple list of best to worst stones for either diamond or natural out there? I cannot endure the time and/or torture some of these utube vids take up and still never provide a solid recommendation. Something simple like this would be beneficial to me.

Ciao ... Dorm
No. For one thing, if you read this thread, it is not simple.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
WELL, WELL, WELL!
I just got a GSE e-mail from Shaaf... what is that you ask?

It is a "Getting started e-mail with a beginner course in carving e-book and their Diamond Sharpening Stone Manual - now if the stones are as good as their customer service...

GREAT idea!!!
Customer support. Gad I love that.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Respectfully I disagree. This is a simple request which only complicates when ones diverge from the request or try to read in more than what’s asked. As in, bonding technique for diamond stones, what type glue is used, intricacies of making diamond stones, ad nauseam. I’m confident the contributors on this site can develop a list of solid, fairly robust and dependable stones ... natural and diamond, including price to narrow down the field. Ones the users have good results with, have some level of longevity and value. For me, much more than these criteria is just ‘noise’.
No. For one thing, if you read this thread, it is not simple.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Respectfully I disagree. This is a simple request which only complicates when ones diverge from the request or try to read in more than what’s asked. As in, bonding technique for diamond stones, what type glue is used, intricacies of making diamond stones, ad nauseam. I’m confident the contributors on this site can develop a list of solid, fairly robust and dependable stones ... natural and diamond, including price to narrow down the field. Ones the users have good results with, have some level of longevity and value. For me, much more than these criteria is just ‘noise’.
Trend, DMT. That is my list of solid, dependable diamond stones.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For those using the wet/dry paper, another source for full sheets in the 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit is Car Quest. (3M brand) Some are a ways from Klingspors.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Trend, DMT. That is my list of solid, dependable diamond stones.
Thanks Mike. Exactly what I was after! And how hard or complicated was that ... not!
While I’m here, what’s your preferred water or oil stone? I have a smoothing plane with a wide iron so anything 3” or wider is what I’m looking for.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a translucent Arkansas stone labeled Norton. I like all of Nortons stones. I have a hundred small ones for small tools like drills and carving chisels.
3C2CB4CC-85CA-4FDB-8683-F870EB72938B_1_201_a.jpeg

And Shapton water stones.
Tried a few Japanese water stones but they were too messy and high maintenance for me.

For the wide blade DMT makes some extra large diamond and plastic hones that are great for light use.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
But therein lies the problem. If there are only two or three "reliable" sources of diamond "stones" (Trend, DMT, Shapton) and the prices are similar why look anywhere else?
Because the Shaaf "stones" are nearly half the price of those above, if they prove to be good or even great "Stones" as compared to the three "Diamond standards" then we have another option for beginners or "cash-strapped" woodworkers - something (I believe) this site strives to encourage...

Dorm

New User
Dorm
But therein lies the problem. If there are only two or three "reliable" sources of diamond "stones" (Trend, DMT, Shapton) and the prices are similar why look anywhere else?
Because the Shaaf "stones" are nearly half the price of those above, if they prove to be good or even great "Stones" as compared to the three "Diamond standards" then we have another option for beginners or "cash-strapped" woodworkers - something (I believe) this site strives to encourage...
Hank, the simple method I described above works best for me. To me, the suggestions mentioned might serve as a ‘standard’ and given one’s budget, then ones may choose the ‘Std’ or look for alternatives. I use the site as a “go to” for solutions, what experienced woodworkers use, techniques, tips and specific advise. Fortunately many on here provide that expertise with some focus.
For me, I have not the time nor patience to go down many of the ‘rabbit holes’ delving into every microscopic nuance on a given subject. My interest lies in woodworking ... not intellectual exercise. I guess my nature is simpler; practical; to the point.
I understand the efforts to broaden the spectrum and encourage newcomers or beginners, and choices are good too. Just for me I prefer a narrower scope ... what ones routinely use in practice with good results, in lieu of complication.

Ciao ... Dorm

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use a translucent Arkansas stone labeled Norton. I like all of Nortons stones. I have a hundred small ones for small tools like drills and carving chisels.
View attachment 201446
And Shapton water stones.
Tried a few Japanese water stones but they were too messy and high maintenance for me.

For the wide blade DMT makes some extra large diamond and plastic hones that are great for light use.
Of course, Diamond leaves off around 1200, so one must move to other methods for final finishing. I still bhve a black Ark, and a white Syyderco, but the cut very very slow. I do not understand your comment on Shapton vs Japanese. I thought the Shapron were just thin waterstones bonded to glass. My gouge slips are waterstones.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve been looking at diamond stones recently as well after seeing a Paul Sellers video. Sellers recommended these ($142 for 3):

Granted it’s Amazon reviews, there were some surprising images and comments about the DMT diasharp stones (although I wonder if some were knock offs)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The Shapton stones are different, I’m not sure if they are ceramic or something else, and only need a light spray of water instead of full immersion and constant flooding. They make the glass plates as well as full depth stones without the glass.

cpaul

New User
Chris
No experience with the Shaff, but the woodcraft 400/1200 is a similar double sided diamond bonded plate. I've been happy with mine (got on sale for $30), but I don't rely on it as a reference flat.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS