Charles Neil Pre-Color Conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
When I search the forum for Charles Neil, I get a lot of hits, so I'll just ask. How many people here are using his Pre-Color Conditioner Blotch Control product?

[video=youtube_share;IfCYMdrP8rM]http://youtu.be/IfCYMdrP8rM[/video]

It seems like a perfect solution. Is it as good as he claims? (I have yet to find a negative review.) What is the closest alternative product available from Lowes?

rickbw

New User
Rick Wize
Funny thing, I'm in New Market Va as I write this taking Charles finishing class. The blotch control is amazing stuff. We have spent two days sampling and testing all kinds of finishes. The blotch control is the real deal as is Charles. I'm amazed at how down to earth he is and how willing he is to share his "secrets". There is no Lowes alternative...........

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wow, that looks like pretty good stuff! The video is instructive and Charles is just a blast to listen to as well. No bull and down home. Here's another review in support of the product.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/blotch-control-to-rule-them-all/

I've always used a wash coat of dilute Zinnser SealCoat for this purpose but I'm rethinking that. BTW, I suspect that Lowe's and HD have dropped the SC product but are still carrying the Zinsser waxed shellacs. ???

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I like the name... "Pre-Color Conditioner Blotch Control" sounds a lot like a woman hair coloring product :D I'm not a fan of stain at all and think it's a bad 5 letter word when it comes to wood working... I'm more of a toner inbetween seal and finish coats kind of guy. I did not have time to watch all the video, but I think I may have watched enough to wonder what's so much different than just laying down a few seal coats first? Not saying anything bad about Charles, I think hes brilliant, so please don't think I am - I'm just wondering what the difference is?

Thanks

CLetts

New User
Carl
Jeff,
I've used his Blotch Control from the beginning and I keep it stocked. The difference is that his blotch control will accept color. "The others" at best only take minimal color. Watch the whole video. if you work/build with cherry, and you want an even color rather than sap wood showing you'll really like this stuff. Also notice the plywood demo.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff,
I've used his Blotch Control from the beginning and I keep it stocked. The difference is that his blotch control will accept color. "The others" at best only take minimal color. Watch the whole video. if you work/build with cherry, and you want an even color rather than sap wood showing you'll really like this stuff. Also notice the plywood demo.

Thanks. I typically don't stain my wood but it's a good tool to know about in case I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS