Charity Raffle (Maloof Occasional)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hey guys. I just thought of this. Since I'm sure a lot of guys aren't going to be able to make it to the show that are members here I figured I might as well offer a paypal option to enter the charity chair raffle. Tickets are $5 each. If you would like to donate you can paypal me and I'll write your information on your ticket and enter it for you. I'm running the raffle so I promise that you're ticket will be in the pot for the drawing. Proceeds from the raffle are going to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund. The winning ticket will be pulled on Oct 29th at the Hickory Extravaganza at noon. If you can make it please buy your ticket at the show. I'll deliver the chair to the winner if they are within a 50 mile radius of Hickory. Otherwise pickup will have to be arranged.

My paypal address is golferdude1000@hotmail.com

To see the chair simply go to the thread in the woodworking forum.

Steve, I hope you don't mind this post.

Thanks,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll buy my ticket in person. But I wanted to tell you that I think that what you are doing is a very noble thing. I know you worked very hard on that chair, and to give it up for charity, especially the Red Cross which needs all the help they can get, is just really awesome :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I'll probably buy my ticket for $10. How come you are making the drawing so early? I'll be coming up on Sat. morning and hope to see some of the show, before going to your gathering, I hope I don't miss the drawing. Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
I planned on having the raffle at the end of the demonstration so it wouldn't interfer with the gathering. The plan was for the group to leave around 1pm. I'll hand out directions and cell phone number if you want to stay and catch up with us later at the shop.

If you are a definite go, just PM me and let me know how many you want and I'll fill out your tickets for you so you know you've made it in for the drawing.

I appreciate the :eusa_clap. I only wish I had enough time to make it a rocker instead of the occasional. Everyone was hoping it was my rocker on the raffle block. Maybe next year I'll have the time and we'll make it a rocker for some other good cause. It is the least I can do to help those folks out down there.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sorry I'm a DA:eusa_doh: , I keep getting the Extravaganza and the gathering mixed up. I thought that you were going to make the drawing at your house, not at the convention center:slap: . If I leave at 7-ish that will get me there around 10, with 2-3 hours to check things out, I think I'm cool:cool: . I will PM you for some tickets, just in case I'm slow in the morning, but I will be there. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BTW, Maloof's first rocking chair was of his dinning chairs that he cut off the legs and made rockers for it. Not that I'm suggesting that you cut the legs off of your beautiful chair, but that a rocker is just a great chair with rockers on the bottom. The talent is in making the chair. There is a great article about him in the May '05 issue of Woodcraft magazine. Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
woodguy1975 said:
Steve, I hope you don't mind this post.

How can I object, good cause and good work.:icon_thum

Besides, I am believer that is easier and faster to ask for foregiveness than ask for permission:lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Dave,

You are right. A rocker is just a chair with rockers. The key to a good rocker is good balance and rocker design. I will make a rocker version of this chair, but it will be a settea (I think I have that spelled right). It is a simlar lowback style chair for two people. You can make this chair with spindles like the rocker, but they are decorative. The backrail does all the support.

Just for clarification, the drawing is going to be held at the show at the end of the demonstration. I"m selling tickets at the show all day on Friday and Saturday morning. Hopefully we'll sell a bunch. Klingspore's has been gratious enough to give me a table and promo the raffle for me. The demonstration will end, we'll sell the last stragling tickets and then draw around 12 or 12:30. After that we'll get ready and depart the show around 1pm. We can depart later if need be, if the guys are enjoying the show and want to stay longer. I'll give directions to folks and we'll have 3-4 people lead the way for the guys who haven't been out here for ease. It isn't that hard to get to my house though. :)

We'll probably eat around 2 o'clock. I'm going to have BBQ brought in for us or have a designated person pick it up from the restaurant and bring it to the shop. After that we eat till we are stuffed and talk shop. I'm sure there will be lots of discussions. A good chance for new guys to ask more experienced folks questions.

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS