Charcuterie/Cheese Boards

spartyon8

Peter
User
Hello, all! I just recently joined as I have been reading a lot of awesome information here. Joining felt like a must after taking and learning from you guys behind the scenes. I just started getting into woodworking this year and the wife asked me to make some cutting boards for Christmas gifts. The cutting boards were not a problem but I am scratching my head with these Charcuterie/Cheese boards. I am trying to limit waste and figured the best would be to make a curved handle so I can overlap cutouts to minimize waste. I glued up some 6" wide boards but am having a head scratching time figuring out a layout/length to cut these into. Can anyone give me any insight into the best way to layout these boards?

Thank you,
Peter

Last edited:

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
I’m having a difficult time trying to work out what you’re trying to accomplish.
Do you have pictures or a drawing to share?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little place in the world wide web.

To your question if I understand correctly, if you are going to have the handle as an extension of the cutting board you will have to buy that length plus cut off.

In carptentry, an average rule when buying wood is assume 5-10 % more is needed than required because of imperfections in the wood. but you could dado or tenon the handle on. But, that is more time. If that is the desired look for aesthetics, then good, but if all you want is to make sure it looks nice and functional then just buy the longer material and scoll cut the handle in and shape. ........... like I said IF I understand your question correctly.

Welcome !!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I understand, you are trying to nest the handles to get more yield from the material.
And you want to curve the handle so it looks better than just a straight offset design.

I can sketch a few ideas in a minute if that is correct...

spartyon8

Peter
User
If I understand, you are trying to nest the handles to get more yield from the material.
And you want to curve the handle so it looks better than just a straight offset design.

I can sketch a few ideas in a minute if that is correct...

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to explain. I figured a curved handle would allow me to overlap the layouts better and reduce waste. I tried a few but they all look either too big to grab comfortably or real skinny. My wife also was to incorporate a hole in the end of the handle to hang on a wall or pot rack.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
448052C5-AF33-41AF-A9CC-1EE024163073.jpeg

spartyon8

Peter
User
Mike,

That is howI keep trying to layout the handles. However, they always look like they would be uncomfortable. Opinions on widths of a handle?

Dan,
I watch a lot of Matt Cremona and like his stuff. My wife wanted handles and a finished look. Everything I see of his is just a live edge cutoff, no?

Also, if i get a pattern that I like would it be best to have one made with an xcarve type machine to get perfect copies each time? Any ideas on where to have something like that done?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
When I made cheese boards for my family I did not use a handle. I did use some pretty slabs and added a chalkboard paint ‘ribbon’ to label the cheeses. You could also chamfer the bottom to have it be easier to pick up. I also made a large hole near one corner and some paracord to hang it.

JonB

Jon
User
I made some like this, 7" x 14". My wife has a plastic cutting board this shape that I just used as a template. I tried to nest them but without the curved handle I would have needed a wider board or the grain would have been on an angle. I also laser engraved to personalize.

Attachments

• cheese board.jpg
    cheese board.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 211

joec

joe
User
My wife is on me to make several next week for gifts. She has one that is rectangular and has all four sides enclosed with handles and sides (all hardwood), I wonder about movement, but the one she bought is doing fine.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
My wife is on me to make several next week for gifts. She has one that is rectangular and has all four sides enclosed with handles and sides (all hardwood), I wonder about movement, but the one she bought is doing fine.
If by "has all four sides enclosed...' you mean their is a frame around 'a panel' - I'd have to agree about concern. Maybe it'll work, but as much as cutting boards get used and wet, I would not choose that design. If it is a display board, then MAYBE I'd consider it, but still doubt I could bring myself to implement a 'cross-grain' design like that (if it did not allow or account for movement).

spartyon8

Peter
User
I think that is the route I am going to take. I was just trying to get the most out of the boards I had.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS