Changing Table for Expected Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thought I'd toot my own horn and share with all of you some pictures of the changing table I finished today. It's an accompanying piece to the crib that I built a couple months ago.

The changing table is made of Cherry & finished with three coats of satin
polyurethane. I used mortise & tenon joints to the legs and Miller dowels to attach the top. It was designed to hold a changing pad with a small storage area for supplies to the right.

IMG_1332.JPG
[/IMG]
IMG_1331.JPG
[/IMG]

IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
I changed your post to include the pictures of your changing station - hope you don't mind. It looks great - good job!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hmmpf. That is why they showed up. Cathy and I competing.

Looks good! How do you like the miller dowel system?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks! I was having issues with Firefox. After clicking the CHECK SPELLING everything goes to hell and stuff stops working. Thanks for fixing that!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks great Jeremy :icon_thum

The extra effort on the MTs should add a lot of stability.

Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there Jeremy!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I too am interested in knowing your impressions of the Miller doweling system! (I use a lot of dowels in place of M&T. Haven't had the courage to try that type of joint yet!)

What are the "shelves" made from? 1/2" cherry ply?

You have created a really nice piece of furniture for the new arrival! (By the way, congrats!)

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Jeremy.:icon_thum That changing station will be a great addition to the crib you built.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Excellent work. I'm sure it'll hold up through many many babies, and grand babies, and grand grand babies... Thanks for sharing!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The Miller dowels were actually really nice. I only used 4 in this project, but I used a couple others in a crosscut sled I made and they worked out well. The bits they sell are such a higher quality than I'm used to that I started to wonder what I've been using all this time.

As for the changing table, the bottoms of the shelves are 3/16 hardboard. I would have liked to use 1/4" cherry ply, but just couldn't come up with it (at a reasonable price) in the time I needed to finish the project ... so hardboard it was!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Jeremy!

Sounds like I should try out those dowels on a project! I really like the fact that the dowels themselves come in different wood varieties (walnut etc.). They could really add to a given piece.

The hardboard is probably a good idea. It will be covered with something anyway. (Towels, diapers etc.)

Great work and thanks for the inspiration! (Have 4 daughters but no grandchildren, just yet!:crybaby2: But,,,,,waiting for that grand day!)

Wayne

MarkW

New User
Mark
Really nice work and congratulations on the new arrival. Thats a piece this child will be using for their own children.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice job Jeremy....That will be a great addition to the new arrivals furniture suite! Contratulations!
Randy

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
That is absolutely beautiful work, Jeremy.

I like the lines and the finish. As that cherry takes on a darker patina it will look even prettier with time.

A beautiful example of a labor of love from a true craftsman! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

J

jeff...

Wow the baby will have it's butt wiped with style :icon_thum Man that's an awesome changing table and functional too. A family heirloom for sure, built by a loving grandpa... Congrads, GandPa:eusa_danc

skeeter

New User
Charles
Really nice work. Something to be passed down and enjoyed for generations. Be proud!

Is the Miller dowel system anything like the beadLoc dowel jig system? I use the beadLoc and really like it for simple and fast set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS