Changing Name On Profile

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I really miss the name being under the avatar because I felt knowing one's first name made us more familiar to one another. I was able to change my avatar picture, but I want to put my name over it, in place of my user name, and that I haven't been able to figure out. If it can be done, I wish many of us would use your proper name on the avatar.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce I am not sure what you are trying to do. Do you want Bruce to show up instead for sawman101?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Like you see now?

Thank you Scott! It's so much easier when we meet each other in person to address everyone by their name. I was able to recognize everyone but maybe 2 at the picnic. Blessings brother!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Bruce, is there a way to do this for everyone?
I am not sure everyone would want or need this done. Nor am I aware of a way you as user can make the update on your own record. With that said if anyone wants it done send me a PM (Conversation) with what name you want and I will be happy to do so.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought this was on the list of items that Ron was looking to implement (nickname, and city)?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought this was on the list of items that Ron was looking to implement (nickname, and city)?
Thanks Neal. Might be. The is a list of to do's he is working. I will hold off with making further updates until Ron weighs in.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My name is already my user name and I don't have an Avatar because I chose not to have one. Each member should have the option to choose which name they want so a global change may not be wanted by every member.

FlyingRon

Ron
It appears a few of the fields that were in our old profiles were adhoc things added in their own table rather than using the "extensible" field feature that got automatically ported over. I'll be doing this as some of the DQ fields were there.

There are mods to allow users to set a custom "display name" in their profile. I'll be adding that. You can set it to a nick name, or your real name (if your user_id is a nick name).

I'd recommend against changing usernames (we can do it) without compelling reason. While MOST of the places in the code use an immutable user id (numeric) value, I've seen a few places that have both the id and the name and I'm not sure that changing a user name will universally get all the places it occurs.

As for Avatars, you're free to set them or not. You'll get the big box with the first letter of your name and a random background color if you don't set one.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I really miss the name being under the avatar because I felt knowing one's first name made us more familiar to one another. I was able to change my avatar picture, but I want to put my name over it, in place of my user name, and that I haven't been able to figure out. If it can be done, I wish many of us would use your proper name on the avatar.

I agree, It would be nice to have a real first name associated with people, it helps develop a sense of community (plus another forum I belong to used to require real names, but they changed this and now the level of civility on the site has decreased, seems people are nicer when you know their names)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors