Change comes with time

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have found that nothing stays the same forever even includes light fixtures. I have 8' fluorescent 2 tube fixtures and have issues with 2 of them. One will not light up at all even after putting new tubes in. The other will only light up only one tube. I decided I would just replace the whole fixture in both cases. NOT---they no longer make those fixtures, but they do market a conversion kit. So...…….what does a guy do? Do the conversion or go to an entirely different lighting solution? This is in my shop BTW which is not always heated but leave the thermostat at 55 during coldest months. Conversion kits were priced at 92.00 each and then you buy new type bulbs also. So what is the most economical way to go? Appreciate any enlightenment on the matter.

Jerry

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
You should check out the LED shop lights. I have been replacing my old fluorescents with them as the bulbs burn out. It is a huge difference. I buy 4' LED fixtures with 5500 lumens at Rural King. They are $25 each. They use half the watts as a twin fluorescent fixture.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Harbor Freight has a 4' LED 5000 Lumens shop light for 19.99 -(Super coupon in back of recent catalog).
I bought the limit of 4 and tested one when I got home. Looks like a good light.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Some lights come with plugs also that allow you to daisy chain them together, which is included with the ones at Rural King.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I buy LED 110V double end bulbs then rewire the existing fixture to supply 110v to the bulb, black wire to one end -white wire to the other end.
This way you don't have to buy anything but the new bulbs which run anywhere from $8 to $20 depending on many factors.

8 ft. - single pin-

4ft double end- 2 pin

Be careful to get duel end so you don't have to replace the sockets in the fixture.

Hyperikon is a gret brand Ken and I both use them

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I buy LED 110V double end bulbs then rewire the existing fixture to supply 110v to the bulb, black wire to one end -white wire to the other end.
This way you don't have to buy anything but the new bulbs which run anywhere from $8 to $20 depending on many factors.

8 ft. - single pin-

4ft double end- 2 pin

Be careful to get duel end so you don't have to replace the sockets in the fixture.

Hyperikon is a gret brand Ken and I both use them

What color bulbs are you guys using in your shops (Mike and Ken)?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I had a couple of 8' double tube fluorescent fixtures in my shop. After replacing the lamps a few times over the years, I replaced each of them with 3 four foot LEDs with two "tubes" each. Better light than the old ones, more of it, of course, and I don't have to buy new lamps nor haul and pay for the disposal of the old ones.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
5000K, I'm used to color corrected due to working in graphics studio for so long.

5000K is what I was considering for my shop. Since cataract surgery a couple of years ago my eyes are a lot more sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum. There are some brown dye combinations (thankfully not all and only on cloth so far) that actually look purple to me now under natural outdoor daylight and certain flourescent bulbs. I should probably test one of the 5000K LEDs to be sure that's not the case before replacing 12.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I use the same ones as Mike and Ken. It only takes 10 minutes to remove the ballast and rewire them.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
5000K is what I was considering for my shop. Since cataract surgery a couple of years ago my eyes are a lot more sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum. There are some brown dye combinations (thankfully not all and only on cloth so far) that actually look purple to me now under natural outdoor daylight and certain flourescent bulbs. I should probably test one of the 5000K LEDs to be sure that's not the case before replacing 12.
If you are over sensitive to blue light you may want to try 4000K bulbs which are more yellow.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
From one Jerry to another, go LED and never look back. I buy 5000k at at least 4800-5000 lumens. I think I'm up to 12 in my 24x24 garage/shop. I may add a few more. Game changer for my aging eyes. (50)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm putting these in my shop now:
They have been simple to install and up to 12 of them can be linked together rigid or with a flex cable (all included). Each unit draws .25 amps. Also includes 12 power cords with inline switches and all necessary mounting clips, anchors, and screws. They are replacing old twin tube 8' fixtures.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Go to costco and get the Shop lights Buy 2 for each of those 8' units. Those things are outdated, (Unlike me who is a younger chipper 60's dude). THe LED purt out nmore light use 1/5 the electricity and last years longer. Time to Change ............ youngin'

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thanks guys------lots of help to me. Apparently LED is the way to go---------but oh so many options. I did pull the trigger on 2 commercial grade 8' fixtures that uses 4 48" tubes, ordered from Lowes with free delivery to my home. Will see how these perform before making any decisions on the rest of the fixtures in my shop. At 76 years young I may not have to be concerned with the rest of them. Who knows??

Jim Harrison

New User
Jim
Too late to be of any benefit, but Lowes carries replacement ballasts and bulbs, after 10 or 12 years use I had to replace the ballasts in mine last year, seems like the replacement was about $25, like yourself I figure I’m blessed to still be able to play in the shop, Jim

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I watch for sale prices on the 2 bulb 4' LED shop lights at Rural King, Lowes, and Harbor Freight. I've been replacing all the florescent lighting with them. The light out put per fixture is far better, and the shop is a better place to work. Wish I were out there right now, but with the tornado warnings and flooding, I'll stay in the kitchen and drink coffee. Stay safe everyone!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks guys------lots of help to me. Apparently LED is the way to go---------but oh so many options. I did pull the trigger on 2 commercial grade 8' fixtures that uses 4 48" tubes, ordered from Lowes with free delivery to my home. Will see how these perform before making any decisions on the rest of the fixtures in my shop. At 76 years young I may not have to be concerned with the rest of them. Who knows??
I have 8' florescent in my shop. Would love to just convert them to LED bulbs.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
REGGIE, just buy led bulbs that bypass the ballast, they are 110v, throw away the ballst, red,blue go to black and yellow goes to white. 6000k cri at least 45w, that is a touch over 100w flourescent. GO AMAZON LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS