chair repair part 2

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
These chairs were given to me by the sweertest 91 year old lady. She wants me to restore them and keep them. I really want to do my best for her.

This chair is in the worst shape of the 6 given to me.

It looks like some glue ran in a couple of places. It is brown. Is this hide glue? It looks like most of the jponts have this glue. Some of the joints on this chair and others have a white substance on loose joints. Any idea what this might be?

I have never tried something like this. I will have to buy at least a few spreader clamps. How much success should I expect on the joints which do not appear to be loose. I know these chairs are at least 85 years old if not older. All the chairs are similar, style and cane bottom, but none are exactly the same. Someone told me a couple of them my be from the late 1800's.

I am worried about drilling out any dowels. I think it is going to have to be done freehand. I have a large enough drill press but I do not think I would be able to clamp then down at the correct angle.

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

Bill E

Bill
User
The glue is probably Hyde glue,loosen with Hot water ( slow process )
Wood is probably mahogany. I see where someone has added finishing nail thru the joints and dowels of all the joints you have pictured. The finishing nails should be the first step in loosing the joint. Needle nose pliers, patient ,special drill bit for removing nails and screws may help . When the joints are loose and clean wash with Hot water and scrape off all traces of glue with cabinet scraper. New glue never sticks to glue! Reglue with brown hyde glue using clamps . Good luck the chairs need to be saved. If the chairs have caning in seats,it is probably hand caned (need to find someone who does hand caning $$) The white residue is probably white or yellow glue that someone didn’t know how to repair
Bill E

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I do know a guy up near MtAiry who hand canes chairs if it comes to that. Bill got you some good advice there.

Whoever "worked" on that chair needs his fingernails pulled out.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have learned a lot from my 2 posts.

I have always avoided chairs and this reminds my why.

Looking for more help on the structural issues Each chair has some bad joints and some good joints. As old as these chairs are is there a chance the joints that look OK may still pull out without adding to the damage. I know this is not an exact science but on average what might I expect. Should I try to drill out dowels on bad joints or just do the best I can and leave the dowels alone. As Bill said, new glue does not bond with old glue. What the heck do I try when the bad joint is 3/4 of the way out but I can not move it any further.

I hate to loose any of the chairs but if one turns out to be the way I learn what not to do and it allows me to save the others so be it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have learned a lot from my 2 posts.

I have always avoided chairs and this reminds my why.

Looking for more help on the structural issues Each chair has some bad joints and some good joints. As old as these chairs are is there a chance the joints that look OK may still pull out without adding to the damage. I know this is not an exact science but on average what might I expect. Should I try to drill out dowels on bad joints or just do the best I can and leave the dowels alone. As Bill said, new glue does not bond with old glue. What the heck do I try when the bad joint is 3/4 of the way out but I can not move it any further.

I hate to loose any of the chairs but if one turns out to be the way I learn what not to do and it allows me to save the others so be it.
Try steam on and as much as possible in the joint to loosen the glue.
Check for small nails that you may not see at first due to being covered with glue or crud.
Try twisting the rung as you pull it.
Try a small jack to push the joint apart.
If you break a piece let me know, I may be able to make a replacement. I do a lot of that work.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Try steam on and as much as possible in the joint to loosen the glue.
Check for small nails that you may not see at first due to being covered with glue or crud.
Try twisting the rung as you pull it.
Try a small jack to push the joint apart.
If you break a piece let me know, I may be able to make a replacement. I do a lot of that work.
Thanks MIke

I always look for your comments. I have seen a number of your posts where you have made folks one of a kind replacements.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS