Chainsaw carb - rebuild or replace?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have an older Stihl chainsaw that doesn't run and the service people say the saw is no longer supported by Stihl, so they won't work on it. I have seen plenty of aftermarket rebuild kits and replacement carbs, but they all look like they come from overseas. So should I buy a rebuild kit and replace the diaphragm after cleaning or go for the whole carb replacement kit. I just don't know what kind of quality I would be getting and have so many different vendors it gets very confusing as to which one to patronize. Anybody gone through a similar situation and had a good outcome? Any guidance would be very appreciated.

My wife says I have to have an operating chainsaw before the hurricane gets us so a decision is pressing.

Roy G

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Maybe a different service guy. As I understand old German saw parts can still come from Germany. Rebuilding is easy. I hate all the new saws as they have the same POS Walbro carbs. Besides the carb, usually the fuel lines are degraded. Seems primer bulbs last weeks as they sell them by the 12-pack.

So, to have a saw that I know will start every time, I have an 80V Kobalt. Not as fast, but does a surprising job. Same battery as my blower. I do still have a cheap Poulan that sometimes runs well, sometimes does not.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have installed the "cheap" ($15) chinese carbs on two lawn mowers, one weed eater, one 4 wheeler and one dirt bike. They have all worked great. I presently have one on the way for another weed eater.
A $15 carb is a better deal than a $35 rebuild kit IMO.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Like Charlie says, new carbs are cheap. Install was simple. I watched the wife do it while I sipped on a cold one. :p

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My old still went to the shop and they said it was discontinued, no parts, offered to throw it in their recycling bin.
I took it home, ordered a Chinese carb for $15. Runs great.

If you rebuild you still have to take the carb off and put it back on. New one is much less work.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
No experience on chain saw, but I have replaced two carbs on B&S engines. Both were plug and play. One actually runs better than the OEM one ever did. Need to order two for a couple Honda's next week. At ten bucks each delivered, it's a no brainer to me. I'm old enough to remember when a OEM carb cost around $100.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Get the cheap knock off carb TBH almost and chainsaw carb that will fit will work. I had a Remington chain saw that I put a husky carb on it it worked until a tree crushed it, that is another story .... but yeah the motors are pretty basic

badger fan

Bruce
User
I wish my saw was a Stijl, but it’s a 40 year old Homelite, it has been so reliable that it’s hard to let it go.
thanks for the suggestions on where to buy a carb.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I wish my saw was a Stijl, but it’s a 40 year old Homelite, it has been so reliable that it’s hard to let it go.
thanks for the suggestions on where to buy a carb.

Op said he had a stihl. If it's an XL12, those are really easy to rebuild.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
My Stihl is a 026 which I got as the smallest of their professional models. I got it after Fran in 1996 because my old 076 was not working well. The 026 was just fine until recently when it wouldn't start. I have watched so many carb replacement videos on Youtube I could probably do one with no problems. Thanks for your replies.

Roy G

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have an old McCullough I should fix. The last time I needed it I noticed the priming bulb had crumbled. I had a tree across the driveway so I cut off enough to get out with a hand saw and bought a battery operated one, a Ryobi 40V. It works fine for the little bit I do these days although the chain seems to like to jump off, might be me. I kept the McCullough. I've had it more than 20 years and it has always worked, until recently. If a rebuild kit would fix it that would be great. I also do not have mixed gas readily available anymore. I sold the old boat I used to use for a source of mixed gas. But that's a simple issue too.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I replaced the carb on my 22 year old Stihl string trimmer for $15. It runs like it did when new.
Sometimes rebuilding a carb doesn't pay. A lot of times, as was mine, the housing has worn badly where the shaft goes through and mine also would not keep the idle and mixture adjustments but a little while, then I would have to readjust.

Joe

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS