Ceiling fan light kit repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Situation: Teenage kid jumps off chair and whacks ceiling fan.

The fan itself is OK, but the light kit is toast. The housing for the pull chain switch, light fixtures etc. was one of those peanut-brittle metal boxes. I tried to fix it using some metal brackets, but as I drilled the second hole the thing shattered in my hands.

I looked for a new light kit, but there are no real good options. I need a low profile one, and the only one I found for this fan (Hunter) is pretty ugly. The other option is a whole new fan.

Any idea where to find a replacement box? It's about 4" x 1" x 1". I looked at the local hardware stores but nothing seemed to be a good fit.

RayH

New User
Ray
Home Depot on Strickland, North Raleigh, has a good selection of fan system parts and pieces. Not sure of the brands they carry, but much of the light kit parts seem to be universal.

Probably for $$ :swoon:there is a lighting fixture store in Cary (believe it is House of Lights) that carries some kits and can probably order anything you want. If interested, I'll look up the name/address.

Good luck,
Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There is a place in Raleigh off Oberlin road in that shopping center over there. I can't remember the name of the shopping center but they sell and repair lights and stuff.

I needed a special type nut for our dining room chandelier fixture caled a hickey and they had it right there.

What is the name of that shopping center..........

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Your options are as follows:
1) Duct tape
2) JB Weld

Whichever option you choose, post pics!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Travis/ Ray - thanks for the pointers! I'll be hunting next weekend.

Your options are as follows:
1) Duct tape
2) JB Weld

Whichever option you choose, post pics!
You're missing option 3 - painting by numbers. I wasn't kidding when I said it shattered. I ended up with 20+ pieces. I'm a master with duct tape, but even I can't put that back together :)

R

rickc

Habitat for Humanity Reuse Center? Whenever we went in the old place they had plenty of ceiling fans (might be able to get a complete one and strip off the light kit) and light kits. Prices were always quite good.

Sully

New User
jay
I'd leave the wires exposed and hang a squirrel skeleton from the box as a reminder to the teenager.
:rotflm:

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS