Ceiling and walls on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I saw a post on CL yesterday for 5/16" MDF 82"x97" for 3 bucks a sheet.

I have no idea how I would transport it yet, but can I get away with hanging this from trusses for my ceiling? I'm concerned about the weight of MDF as compared to OSB or drywall.

I'm trying to put together the interior of my shop with materials that I can easily remove and take to my new shop if/when I ever get to build one at my house. 4x8 OSB would be easier, but it's going through the roof.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Matt,

That's pretty cheap, even for the thin stuff. I'd be careful about using it for walls and ceilings though. It doesn't hold on to fasteners (nails, screws) as well as OSB and plywood.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
that is cheap enough but like said the fasteners would probably pull through unless you use a large fender washer or something. steve

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
My shop walls are lined with 1/4" OSB, screwed to the studs. Made it easier to remove to add some insulation later. One coat of primer and one finish coat and instant improvement.
The Lowes in Greenville has 1/4" OSB for $5.97 per sheet. Hard to beat the price and easy to work with.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If you're worried about fasteners pulling through, use a pneumatic staple gun.

Sully

New User
jay
I wouldn't use MDF for walls or ceilings. It would be great for template material, but dealing with the fasteners issues and/or potential moisture issues are two big negatives. OSB can get wet, really wet, several times and survive. MDF doesn't shed water or other liquids very well.

If you want cheap OSB you have to pick it up a sheet at the time from the cull bin at the big box stores. My local Lowes sells half-inch "damaged" pieces for $1 a sheet. Normally the "damage" is a ding on one edge or something else minor. Sometimes the only "damage" is that the sheet is painted blue; the top and bottom sheets often come like this. If you like the color blue you wouldn't even need to paint :gar-Bi

$0.02

brian_hunt

New User
Brian
be sure to glue to the ceiling joists for extra security... We did that on plywood and the glue held without any screws (after we took them out when trying to remove a mistake)

crokett

New User
David
If you care, depending on how well your building is framed, the MDF is going to curve with the wall/ceiling and you will end up with walls that are not flat. My shop has 1/4" OSB on the ceilings and it is wavy because of the insulation. I don't really care, but you might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors