Cedar Stag

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
While cutting some plaques for Reggie ( jackleg ) I had an idea . I was using cedar with a walnut backer and wondered if I could do the same thing with one piece of wood . Sawed a 3/4 " piece out of a log, planed it, sawed it in half lengthwise , planed the cut, scrolled the stag ( my pattern ) on the front piece and used walnut stain on the front of the back piece . Planed a little too much off to really hide the seam but all in all I'm OK with it . The next one will be nicer I think

cedar_stag.jpg

Critiques and suggestions/ideas for improvement welcome

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Very nice Robert! I like the way the deer just seems to "belong" in the wood. Too cool! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap Beautiful job Bro. :eusa_clap You captured the spirit of both.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work man!:icon_thum you scrollers wil cut anything.:icon_scra I'll bet y'all could scroll a portrait out of a beercan.:rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
nice work man!:icon_thum you scrollers wil cut anything.:icon_scra I'll bet y'all could scroll a portrait out of a beercan.:rotflm:

I am sure it can be done but we need someone to empty it first. :rotflm:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Bro it took me forever to see that stag- he seems like he is at home and knows how to hide in that wood - the first thing I seen was the knot - How tall is the piece - nice job:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's awesome Robert! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not sure what the significance of all the stuff you explained means :roll: :slap: but that looks great to me! :icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
That's awesome Robert! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not sure what the significance of all the stuff you explained means :roll: :slap: but that looks great to me! :icon_thum

Trent , basically a portrait-style pattern needs a contrasting backer to highlight the cut out areas and create the positive/negative space . This can be done with wood , felt , or any number of mediums
My experiment was to do it all with one piece of wood , cutting it lengthwise , scrolling the front piece , darkening the back piece then putting it back together and hiding the seams . It all went pretty well except the hiding of the seams :BangHead: lesson learned though ....I am working on another one in which the seams are completely invisible :eusa_clap
Still working on the finish for that one

Thanx for the kind words everyone :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent , basically a portrait-style pattern needs a contrasting backer to highlight the cut out areas and create the positive/negative space . This can be done with wood , felt , or any number of mediums
My experiment was to do it all with one piece of wood , cutting it lengthwise , scrolling the front piece , darkening the back piece then putting it back together and hiding the seams . It all went pretty well except the hiding of the seams :BangHead: lesson learned though ....I am working on another one in which the seams are completely invisible :eusa_clap
Still working on the finish for that one

Thanx for the kind words everyone :icon_thum

Ohhhh.... gotcha! :widea: That's a kewl idea! For what its worth, I can't see the seams. :icon_thum Thanks for taking the time to explain it in laymens terms. :notworthy:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Robert, a true artist sees things things that we mere mortals don't. Obviously, you are an artist. That deer looks as if it beloings there. You have done another outstanding job. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

J

jeff...

That's really nice - but the bullet missed, I see the hole just above his rack - Artist

Jay

New User
Jay
That is great work! I love the stag. Did it come from a picture or something that you free handed? I also love the idea of cutting it from a single piece of wood. I am a novice so take my opinion for what it is worth. (not much) The only critique that I would give is to consider cutting it from a shorter section of wood. I don't think you could go much larger with the pattern or I would suggest that as an alternative. Again the work is incredible I would like to be able to turn something like that out someday.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Picking the right subject for an interesting piece of wood is one of the things that sets your work apart. Another excellent piece!

It is interesting that one of my other favorites is the gorilla, where the picture overwhelmed the piece of wood (in a good way; made you see more than what was there) while this one is really subtle and accents the already interesting slice o' cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS