Cedar shavings as mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Is this stuff safe for plants or bushes? I've got a bag left over from my daughter's guinea pig days. Thanks in advance, Joe

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes and no. It wouldn't be harmful to the plants. But it can rob nitrogen from the soil. Any wood in it's raw form has a too high of a carbon to nitrogen ratio. So when it starts to decompose the microbes that break it down will draw the nitrogen out of the soil instead of out of the mulch. Your best bet is to put it into a compost pile and let it age for a while, then it will be fine to use as mulch or a compost soil amendment.
That said if it is a small amount that is spread over a existing mulch layer, it don't make much difference.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I use ERC shaving for the dog pen they love it - you can also sprinkle some around the foundation of you house bugs hate it. Just don't snort it - it'll plug up your sinuses and make your head feel like it's on fire in a heartbeat.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just don't snort it - it'll plug up your sinuses and make your head feel like it's on fire in a heartbeat.
Before we use any lumber, let's take a moment to talk about wood safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your trees. Knowing you shouldn't snort shavings, Eastern Red Cedar or otherwise, will greatly reduce the risk of clogging up your sinuses and setting your head on fire. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — pants. At least when around other people.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Before we use any lumber, let's take a moment to talk about wood safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your trees. Knowing you shouldn't snort shavings, Eastern Red Cedar or otherwise, will greatly reduce the risk of clogging up your sinuses and setting your head on fire. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — pants. At least when around other people.

:rotflm::rotflm: Thanks, Norm :rotflm::rotflm:

Ray

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I don't know anything about how the shavings would do, but I put out shredded cedar mulch in myyard this year and it has held it's color better than any other mulch I've used....plus it smells really good.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
We've used cedar and fir shavings/sawdust applied over the pine bark mulch around our shrubery for years with no problems. It improves the appearance and smell considerably. Last year I had 8 lawn/leaf bags of fir shavings and sawdust from making outside shutters that I did this with and it covered almost the whole front house perimeter garden about 1 inch thick. That pink color lasted the rest of the year and looked very pretty. Of course, since termites like fir I am careful not to put so much in one place that they will decide to move into it. With cedar and bark mulch, you don't need to worry about termites as I've been told that they don't like it.

Charley

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I put mine (cedar sanding/saw dust and shavings) around the edge of the house foundation. Greatly reduces the amount of weeds/tall grass I need to hit with the weed eater and doesn't attract the carpenter ants and other unwanted "bugs".

Go

Outa Square

New User
Al
just make sure it doesn't have any additives. I vaguely remember seeing something that some shavings had some type of preservatives to prevent rot. But raw shavings, i agree with DaveO... small quantiles are okay. If you have any doubt, just put it around a plant you don't like.

this time of year i am always looking for some carbon to add to my compost pile, especially this year as i didn't bag my leafs as i just raked them to the curb and let them get sucked up.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Before we use any lumber, let's take a moment to talk about wood safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your trees.

Bas....you're killing me!!!!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

darnit Bas, you just made me aware of the fact that I don't have the MSDS for any of the wood in my shop! None of the OSHA safety signage, either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS