Cedar posts for Arbor/Pergola - green or KD?

Green or KD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

warrierr

New User
R
Good morning,

I'm building an arbor/pergola for my wife and, I plan on using 4x4 or 6x6 cedar posts, 8-10' long (2' below sub grade). Lowe's sells these posts for a reasonable price ($45 a piece) but, they are green. I have not worked with green lumber before so I'm wondering how much warping green cedar may go through. Since these posts are coming in contact with the ground (and moisture), is it better for it to be green and come into equilibrium with outside moisture or is Kiln dried cedar better? KD cedar is a lot pricier and I would like to avoid it if possible. Any recommendations on sealants? Kindly do not recommend PT lumber. Thanks!

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Gosh, I was expecting someone to have some insight by now. But anywho...

I've never purchased green cedar already "finished" so I can't say what it's going to do as far as warping, bending, checking, etc. Personally, I'd be scared to death of spending $45 for a 4x4 post that I couldn't, or wouldn't, use after it dried out. But there again, all the cedar post (4x4, 4x6, 6x6, and 8x8) I use are kiln dried.

I can and will tell you to not construct anything with green wood. Holes get larger and fasteners become loose.

I buy all my cedar posts regardless of size from Horizon Forrest Products in Raleigh.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I own several wood kilns.... and I'd use them green.

Cedar does not need to be sterilized, it has a very low shrinkage ratio, and it air dries like a dream.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The posts are listed as Western Red Cedar but dry or green may not be the main point for your concern. What's the rot resistance and/or termite resistance in ground contact (2' deep)? I don't know.

warrierr

New User
R
Thanks for the quick response! I assumed people on this forum would have had experience building arbors.

I wouldn't really want loose bolts with all the rafters above my head. From what I've read up, cedar is supposed to have low shrinkage and hygroscopic. Have you built any arbors with KD cedar? Do you directly bury the posts into the ground or grout to surface and bolt the posts in?

warrierr

New User
R
The posts are listed as Western Red Cedar but dry or green may not be the main point for your concern. What's the rot resistance and/or termite resistance in ground contact (2' deep)? I don't know.

Thats great insight! However, I've heard cedar is naturally resistant to termites. An alternative would be to grout to surface and bolt the posts in place. Have you done one or the other? Have you had better luck with one or the other?

warrierr

New User
R
I own several wood kilns.... and I'd use them green.

Cedar does not need to be sterilized, it has a very low shrinkage ratio, and it air dries like a dream.

Hi Scott, that's what I've heard too. Have you had clients who have experience building arbors?

warrierr

New User
R
Gosh, I was expecting someone to have some insight by now. But anywho...

I've never purchased green cedar already "finished" so I can't say what it's going to do as far as warping, bending, checking, etc. Personally, I'd be scared to death of spending $45 for a 4x4 post that I couldn't, or wouldn't, use after it dried out. But there again, all the cedar post (4x4, 4x6, 6x6, and 8x8) I use are kiln dried.

I can and will tell you to not construct anything with green wood. Holes get larger and fasteners become loose.

I buy all my cedar posts regardless of size from Horizon Forrest Products in Raleigh.

Also, how much do their 4x4 or 6x6 posts sell for? I couldn't find a pricing sheet on their website and I suspect they might be closed. Thanks!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Eastern Red Cedar is a great outdoor lumber. Only one issue I have with it. Your NC carpenter bee's love it also.

Xlogger

New User
Ricky
warrierr, give me a pm if you like. I keep a good bit of cedar here but as Scott said, it will be green and I've sold a good bit like that and never hear a complaint.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience with local 'cedar' is what is known as Juniper (berries used for flavoring gin). The heart, or red portion of the wood withstands rot very well but the outer layer of white wood will decay rapidly as anyone who has used them for fence posts can attest. The commercially sold eastern and western red cedar refers to true cedar wood grown either east or west of the Sierra Divide in the western US respectively.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thats great insight! However, I've heard cedar is naturally resistant to termites. An alternative would be to grout to surface and bolt the posts in place. Have you done one or the other? Have you had better luck with one or the other?

I have no experience with pergola building or using untreated wood posts buried 2' in direct ground contact. There are galvanized post anchors like these which are plenty strong and the post bolt to them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026T7AZ...t=&hvlocphy=1021337&hvtargid=pla-343162221794

https://www.strongtie.com/postbases_capsandbases/category

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My experience with local 'cedar' is what is known as Juniper (berries used for flavoring gin). The heart, or red portion of the wood withstands rot very well but the outer layer of white wood will decay rapidly as anyone who has used them for fence posts can attest. The commercially sold eastern and western red cedar refers to true cedar wood grown either east or west of the Sierra Divide in the western US respectively.

My experience with local 'cedar' is what is known as Juniper (berries used for flavoring gin)

Eastern red cedar is a local cedar that's often referred to as juniper.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/juniperus-virginiana/

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/juvi.html

Atlantic white cedar is sometimes called juniper but I don't think that's what you're referring too.

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/chth.html

warrierr

New User
R

Thank you Dennis! I'm a newb so, pardon the ignorance: what part of the ERC/WRC large fence posts (4x4 or larger) generally sawn from? Are they from all layers, rift sawn in perpendicular direction?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I bought the property we live on 14 years ago. At that time there was the remains of a red cedar stump way out back. I worked on that stump for several years trying to make it disappear; burning by stacking firewood around it didn't do the trick. Chopping at it with a sharp axe got rid of all but some heartwood. Finally last year, I chopped enough off that the mower would pass over without a snag. That r.c. stump was the hardest, most resilient lumber I've come across, with the exception of petrified wood. IMHO, I'd use green cedar, preferably Eastern Red Cedar. That stuff is iron plated.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
"You've used the terms arbor and pergola to describe your muscadine grape support project and they're often used interchangeably."

I have often seen grape arbors, and they are usually built so that one could walk beneath and pick grapes, muscadines, scuppernongs, as the case may be, and usually constructed of 'Atlantic cedar' for durability. But to my mind a pergola was more of an architectural feature constructed of dressed lumber and not necessarily connected to aiding in the cultivation of anything. No doubt you could adapt it to being an arbor if you built it low enough to get to the fruit without a ladder.
I once read somewhere that the word 'pergola' was Italian for, "Let's waste some money." :D

warrierr

New User
R
"You've used the terms arbor and pergola to describe your muscadine grape support project and they're often used interchangeably."

I have often seen grape arbors, and they are usually built so that one could walk beneath and pick grapes, muscadines, scuppernongs, as the case may be, and usually constructed of 'Atlantic cedar' for durability. But to my mind a pergola was more of an architectural feature constructed of dressed lumber and not necessarily connected to aiding in the cultivation of anything. No doubt you could adapt it to being an arbor if you built it low enough to get to the fruit without a ladder.
I once read somewhere that the word 'pergola' was Italian for, "Let's waste some money." :D

haha that's fair but I'd be a fool to let my wife know that �� Anyway , my plan is adapted from the southeast landscape design book and it's across between a pergola and arbor, if you go by strict definitions. Attached is a photo of the plan.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 261
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS