Cedar for turning/bandsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Hi all. I had some cedar logs that have been stored behind my shed for a year or 2. I decided to mill it up, paint the end grain, stack/sticker and let it start drying out. I got a cheapo moisture meter from HF, but not too sure on how accurate it is. However it has been pretty consistent at ~9-12% for the majority of the pieces.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my father in law's bandsaw and plan to try to make some bandsaw boxes. I also cut a few blanks for turning small bowls. I've read that cedar isn't very good for turning. what are your opinions/experiences with using cedar for turning or bandsaw work?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​Eastern red cedar is prone to splitting. It will most likely work well for bandsaw boxes, but I don't think from my experience it'll be good for turning.

Pop
:no:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I turned 3 or 4 small lidded boxes that came out quite well, using ERC. It also works well for band saw boxes, and scroll sawn pieces and with the grain and coloring, makes truly gorgeous pieces. I've not turned any ERC over 3" so can't advise you there.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
cedar_ne_bowl.JPG

tribox3.JPG

it turns nice but light cuts are a must. it fractures quite easily. I found that turning up the speed helped.

JGregJ

New User
Greg
I've turned a number of smaller items out of eastern red cedar from a backyard that 'naturally aged' after being cut down for a couple of years. Tree was about 6in in diameter, but I cut it into smaller chunks about 3x3x5 for turning. So far so good made a few cylinder shaped pencil holders and 'bird house' Christmas ornaments.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a shot. 2 more questions:

1. Is there a general rule about what the moisture content should be for turning bowls?
2. what is a good finish for keeping the reddish color of cedar?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I love turning ERC, cuts easy and smells great while turning. I've used spray lacquer, CA glue on pens and it doesn't look half bad going all the way through the grits and then finishing with steel wool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS