Cedar for raised garden beds (near N Raleigh)

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I can't find the sawyer list, so figured I'd just ask.

Daughter has a friend in N Raleigh looking to build some raised garden beds. Looking for a supplier of cedar or anything else suggested other than PT pine.

Thanks

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Murdock Sawmill should have what you need. Send a message to saw4you or call Jack at 919-669-1859
The mill is on Hwy 98 just outside of Bunn - Short drive from here

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Murdock Sawmill should have what you need. Send a message to saw4you or call Jack at 919-669-1859
The mill is on Hwy 98 just outside of Bunn - Short drive from here
I bought lumber from him before and thought I had his number programmed, but couldn't find it. Thanks!!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Will the beds be made from 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 Eastern red cedar 2-3 inches thick. How long?

Jack is right, the new PT pine is pretty safe to use too.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.42.50 AM.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
2 x 4 Borg lumber works fine for raised beds.

The expense is buying enough soil to fill them. A 6' x 4' x 1' is 24 cubic feet.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Hey Jeff, I'm not sure. I posted this for my daughters friend and then sent him a link to the thread so he could follow.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hey Jeff, I'm not sure. I posted this for my daughters friend and then sent him a link to the thread so he could follow.

Then I'd suggest that he get PT 2 x 8s for in-ground use at Lowe's or HD and make it simple to begin with. There's no need to spend a small fortune making a few raised beds for whatever reason.

BTW, our raised vegetable garden beds are made with old railroad ties which are available at Lowe's or HD. They've been our raised beds since 1989 and none of us have developed cancer or other ghastly diseases from the creosote preservative. :oops:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
PT for sure. ERC in the wizes you wany is almost impossible to find, trees are just too small. Plus the price difference will pay at least half or more for the fill dirt. GROUND CONTACT PT .40 retention, will be a label stapled to end of boards

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS