CBN Wheel Grits

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have a pair of CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders in transit. I ordered a 350g Mega Square and a 180g 4-in-1.
95% of their use will be turning tool sharpening. Now, with the proverbial wheels in motion, I'm having second thoughts about the 350g wheel. Should I have ordered the 600?
Am I overthinking this?

Reactions: Oka

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the 180 and 600. The 180 cuts much finer than anything I had before. The 600 is almost too fine. It leaves a finished surface that needs no honing. The combination of these two suit me perfectly. That said, I believe i would be happy with the 350 alone. It seems like a good compromise for all around sharpening. May need a little honing on some tools and be slow working on others.

Why the two different shapes?

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have the 180 and 600. The 180 cuts much finer than anything I had before. The 600 is almost too fine. It leaves a finished surface that needs no honing. The combination of these two suit me perfectly. That said, I believe i would be happy with the 350 alone. It seems like a good compromise for all around sharpening. May need a little honing on some tools and be slow working on others.

Why the two different shapes?
Two Shapes? Good Question.
I watched some online videos about the uses of the two shapes of wheels and could see advantages to both. I thought that the slightly rougher 180g wheel as a 4-in-1 might be useful in certain shaping or odd edge situations, while the finer Mega Square's larger flat surfaces might be useful in select flattening or non-hollow ground situations. That all might just as well be an alternative way I saying I couldn't make up my mind.
I did discuss the grits and shapes with Joe at WTW. He gave an approving verbal nod and took my money, so...

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I have the 180 & 600 also. I mainly use the 600. The 180 is usually for reshaping or if I let something get really really dull, which doesn't tend to happen since I touch up on the 600 frequently. With the CBN and a jig, sharpening a tool is so quick that it's nothing to touch up a tool's edge. Both of mine are WTW's Spartan wheels, though I would like to get a 4-in-1 eventually.

The 350 should do just fine. Once you start using it, you'll wonder why you didn't get it years ago :)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I use most of the Oneway jigs with mine.

Sharpening a plane iron at 180, then use the same jig to do a little honing on a 1000 water stone takes 5 minutes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS