CBN wheel grits

Status
Not open for further replies.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I think I'm moving myself towards replacing the grinding wheels on my 8" slow speed ginder with CBN wheels, but will likely replace them one at a time as I can afford them. This slow speed grinder is dedicated to sharpening turning tools and not for general purpose grinding. I have other grinders for general grinding.

The choices seem to be 80 grit and 180 grit. For sharpening turning tools should I get the 80 or 180 grit first? My gut says the 180, but I'm interested which one others have chosen when replacing just one.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do like MIke Davis. The two low grit wheels won't give you a sharp cutting edge; especially if you doing any bowl or vessel turning in the inside - you want a sharp edge for a shearing cut.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you get the 180 first then you can decide if you want something coarser or finer to go with it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 600 grit CBN on my Jet used to be water sharpener. Works great.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I also put the 180 on my Rikon. Works great and no sparks in the shop !

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I got the 180 and 350 grits from woodturners wonders.Works good for me.I use the 350 more than the 180 so far on my turning tools.Great customer service there too..

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks everyone for the info. WoodTurners Wonders certainly had the best prices I've seen on CBN wheels. Good enough I went ahead and ordered both a 180 and 600 grit pair making my original question moot :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mine came in today, well packed and perfectly balanced. The Rikon is so quiet you can barely hear it run and absolutely no vibration.

looked around the shop and couldn’t find anything to sharpen, guess I’ll have to turn something so I can try it out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did anyone mention WTW has a lifetime warranty on the CBN wheels?

The days of truing wheels, replacing worn out wheels, overheating you favorite gouge, and making do with a dull chisel are gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors