Casters

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Can anyone recommend a quality brand of casters?

Last winter I was pushing my TS around the shop when one of the casters on the Shop Fox mobile base gave way. OK, no big deal. The casters were almost 20 years old and plastic gets brittle with time. I ordered the exact replacement set from Grizzly with the brand name Steelex, and figured I had another couple decades before I'd have to replace them again.

Well, last night I was repositioning the saw and suddenly it became harder to push and sure enough a caster had split just like it had before.

Replacing these things on a 500# machine is a PITA and I don't want to have to do it again.

Any suggestions?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I ordered dual locking casters similar to these from that seller:

I wanted steel and poly that locked. They have worked well under my Unisaw dolly/cart since installing 6/2018. I went through two cheaper sets before these below:

EDDB2DE1-9FC6-4F35-862D-C2EFD9907EE4.jpeg

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Harbor Freight may have some decent ones but whatever you get, soft and large wheels with locks to hold both roll and swivel are what you’ll like best. I picked up some of mine as throwaways from our shop - dunno where the others came from. Bigger is better!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All my wheels are 3.5-4 inch min. Get the urethane wheels they hold up the best. If you want to scrounge ........ look for demo'd HVAC or old commercial refrigerator or kitchen units . They often have those kind of wheels on them. Free is awesome when you can get.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Can anyone recommend a quality brand of casters?

Last winter I was pushing my TS around the shop when one of the casters on the Shop Fox mobile base gave way. OK, no big deal. The casters were almost 20 years old and plastic gets brittle with time. I ordered the exact replacement set from Grizzly with the brand name Steelex, and figured I had another couple decades before I'd have to replace them again.

Well, last night I was repositioning the saw and suddenly it became harder to push and sure enough a caster had split just like it had before.

Replacing these things on a 500# machine is a PITA and I don't want to have to do it again.

Any suggestions?

Try here- Casters | www.surpluscenter.com
Prices can't be beat, I've purchased several sets from them and I'm always happy with what I get. Big selection.

Tony

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I sometimes buy cheaper casters but what I prefer are the total locking casters from Caster City. They have a very large selection. Their prices are not as cheap as some others but they are pretty good and the casters are better, I believe, than the cheaper ones. (total locking casters do not swivel or turn, many casters just lock the wheel from turning) They have a very large selection.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I buy my casters with polyurethane wheels from Lee Valley. Very good quality and rated for plenty of load.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a previously used Shop Fox mobile base that I was going to put under a shaper, but as I was loosening the bolts to adjust it, the casters actually crumbled in my hands, all 4 of them. No more Shop Fox bases, and as Shop Fox and Grizzly often appear identical, I reckon I'd call Grizzly and get the lower price instead.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS