carving for furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
I am trying to decide on carving designs that could be carved on boxes, chests, chair backs...that kind of thing. This will be part of a future carving class.

If you wanted to apply a carving to something like this, what would it be? I am in need of suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stave

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
I'd be interested in learning how to do border carvings. Things like when to use, how deep to carve, how simple or eloquent to use on a particular piece.

"This is an example of a boarder, I know this isn't carveing rather a strip of wood that was roll-stamped".

Carveing%20Wood.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Acanthus leaves, volutes and rosettes.
They are widely used and there are many variations.

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When I've made toy boxes for each of my grandkids, I would have loved to carve their names in them. That may not be the type of carving you're talking about. :dontknow:

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Acanthus leaves was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Or there is a sunburst pattern that is often seen in the top middle of pieces like a tall case clock or dresser.

This is exactly the kind of carving that I am very interested in learning. Something that can add the right decoration to a piece of furniture and give it more character.

- Ken.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Acanthus leaves, claw&ball, shells, flame finials, I could probably go on. One of these days I'm going to get to some projects I want to make!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
How about a somewhat generic approach about positive/negative space for light and shadows? Taking a sketch and deciding what to recess and what to leave proud I sometimes find harder than the actual carving. You might select a pattern or 2 as examples, maybe just using one pattern and showing the look of different decisions.

richlife

New User
Rich
How about a somewhat generic approach about positive/negative space for light and shadows? Taking a sketch and deciding what to recess and what to leave proud I sometimes find harder than the actual carving. You might select a pattern or 2 as examples, maybe just using one pattern and showing the look of different decisions.

I like the "generic" suggestion also. It would be nice to know the fundamentals to do original designs, how to approach it, how to refine for particular effects, etc. All the traditional "things" (claws, leaves, braids, etc.) can be included, but fundamentals will carry across all of these.

Rich

MT native

New User
Jane
Mark,
I am interested in learning to make and carve on frames (mirrors, stained glass, paintings) such things as vines, flowers and animals.

People can get ideas for architectural woodcarving from several excellent woodcarver sites:
www.norahall.com Nora Hall is famous for her architectural carvings. Her classes are very popular and her DVDs are highly recommended. Regretably she passed away recently from cancer but you can still purchase her DVD's. etc from her website.

and check out Chris Pye's website http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/home

and local SC woodcarver Mary May, http://www.marymaycarving.com/index.htm

Jane

stave

New User
stave
Interesting suggestions and some that I have been working on. To be truthful, traditional things like the ball and claw etc. are not my favorites. I have done them and found them to be tedious mainly because there is a standard that is hard to deviate from or folks think your work is crap no matter the craftsmanship....personal experience on more than one occasion.

I have been considering a design class. My idea was to teach some basic drawing methods that apply to dimensional work like carving. Also the method to determine how to map a carving from what is concave or convex, to how to determine sequence of carving and how to address light and shadow to the best effect. I have found that taking a photograph and seeing it as a carving is daunting for most. I would like more feedback from folks on this topic as far as what they would like to know or have problems with.

Jane, I have also been working on a class that centers on your and Amishwarlord's suggestion. I am working on a method to teach and carve running borders etc. by taking one design and using it in multiple ways. A lot of frames and borders use one design and by using a mirror image, running multiples or placing it in a group create new designs. Simple things are often the hardest to do and to translate.

Thanks for the suggestions and don't be shy if you have more ideas. I will keep folks posted as things progress.

Mark

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
>>basic drawing methods that apply to dimensional work like carving. Also the method to determine how to map a carving from what is concave or convex, to how to determine sequence of carving and how to address light and shadow to the best effect.<<

Just tell me a location and date and I'll be there!!!

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS