Carving Carousel Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Two options. Call Paul at the Klingspor Store in Raleigh. He is a master carver. Paul does mostly flat work but he know a lot of folks. The other option is to send a PM to a member here who's screen name is Stave. Also great carver. Stave is out of western NC.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
There is a carousel museum in Bristol, CT and the last time that I was there they had a carver/teacher offering carousel horse carving classes for adults.

http://www.thecarouselmuseum.org/

They only have a children's summer carving class listed on their website, but may be offering something for adults sometime this Winter. I suggest that you contact them and ask. The museum is very interesting with lots of carousel history and carousel horses to look at.

A second museum occupies the upstairs over the carousel museum. This museum is about the New England Fire Fighters. If you are/were a fireman, you will be able to enjoy both museums in one day.

Charley

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I did a lot of research on this several years ago. The man you want is Bud Ellis who runs "Horsin Around" 302 Walmart Drive, Soddy Daisy, Tennessee. That's near Chattanooga Phone 1-423-332-1111. I talked with Bud several times in July of 2003. "Horsin Around" is a carousel carving school.I don't know if Bud is still around but this is a good place to start. There is also a very good book on the subject by Frank "Bud" Ellis & Rhonda Hoeckley "Carousel Animal Carving" Sterling Publishing`Copyright 1998 ISBN 0-8069-0305-8

There's also another book "Carousel Horse Carving" by Ken Hughes Fox Chapel Publishing, Copyright 1996. This is a step by step instructions for carving a 1/3 scale horse. BUT! as Bud said that's one ugly horse.

Good Luck

Pop

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
While not a class, I have several offerings. First, I have a good book on carving carousel animals by H. LeRoy Marlow and numerous carving books that I will loan out. Second, I have almost all variations of carving tools, both power and hand and I would be willing to do a one on one session at my shop. I would demo and you could practice. I live in Raleigh, hopefully not too far for you and I will probably be available most sunday afternoons.

Here is a horse I did a few years back
lizzie_horse_001.JPG
lizzie_s_horse_008.jpg

lizzie_s_horse_007.jpg

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your suggested references and offers of assistance. As has often been said in these posts/threads, this is a great site with a lot of talented and helpful folks.

cskipper

Cathy
There is a huge carousel in downtown Mansfield, OH. l don't know the contact info but it should be "findable" by searching that or downtown revitalization of Mansfield, OH. All the animals were hand-carved and just stunning. I'll attach a photo of a puzzle I cut from a picture of one of them.

Puzzle_C_Horse_b_P1040233_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS