Carving a doggy statue

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Hi,

We laid our furry baby to rest on friday. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but he was suffering from aggressive cancer and we couldn't bear to see him suffer. He'd always guard my shop/shed and as a memorial, I'd like to carve out a statue of him doing the same. I've never carved before and don't know where to start. Do you experienced folk have advice on tools that I'd need and how I could go about it? Picture attached.

Thanks!
Yogi
IMG_2517.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-10-13.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 213

awldune

Sam
User
Very tough to lose a dog. I didn't have dogs as a kid and when I lost my first dog a few years ago it was so devastating. It takes time, but the pain will fade eventually.

Are you thinking about a life size statue?

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Very tough to lose a dog. I didn't have dogs as a kid and when I lost my first dog a few years ago it was so devastating. It takes time, but the pain will fade eventually.

Are you thinking about a life size statue?

Thank you. Yes, I was thinking of life size, which is going to be challenging considering that he was a 120 lb dog.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry for your loose. Been there before and might be there again soon.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Yogi, sorry for your loss. We had one of our dogs pass away a month ago and adopted a new one from a rescue organization this past week. Based on the size of your dog, maybe a chainsaw would be appropriate. i have seen some of the chainsaw carvers at the state fair and they do amazing work. Maybe if you go to the fair you could talk to some of them and maybe get some help.

Roy G

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Yogi, sorry for your loss. We had one of our dogs pass away a month ago and adopted a new one from a rescue organization this past week. Based on the size of your dog, maybe a chainsaw would be appropriate. i have seen some of the chainsaw carvers at the state fair and they do amazing work. Maybe if you go to the fair you could talk to some of them and maybe get some help.

Roy G
Thank you! Never tried to carve with a chainsaw before, but I'll definitely check it out.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I feel your loss. We had to say goodbye to our terrier this last week. Hopefully some of our scroll saw artists could show some of the photos they have done in wood.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you have a good quality picture of his face you can post? We might be able to make a wooden portrait.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Yogi sorry for your loss. I had to do the same back in march. Several of our members do wood burning. One of them did a great portait of my daughters Shepard for me as a gift to her. Just another idea.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Yogi sorry for your loss. I had to do the same back in march. Several of our members do wood burning. One of them did a great portait of my daughters Shepard for me as a gift to her. Just another idea.
Thank you. That's a good idea as well. I'll look into it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS