carvewright cnc

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Does anyone have anything to say about the carvewright cnc for wood and plastic? Seems like a less expensive way to get started in the cnc area.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
also check out the Longmill CNC. It's a Kit, but seems pretty reasonably built and priced for the sizes available.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
A few years ago I looked at the Carvewright very hard. It's somewhat under powered, and I don't like the product moving instead of the carving head.

Pop

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Besides size limitations, you would be limited to using special tooling that can only be used with Carvewright machines...most small CNC machines have a spindle or use a router, and use either 1/4" or 1/2" standard shank router bits.

Colin Helms

Colin
User
Ron, I have the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD that I would like to sale you. It can cut items 25X25X7". I upgraded the gantry to the aluminum and it was a lot stronger with no sag. This machine does not come with a router nor the VCarve program, when I upgraded to Aspire 3D it will not let me give you the VCarve program. They now have two new programs that you can purchase. I did buy the new HD5 extended that I will be using the Aspire on. Asking $1,800 for this machine. Sorry I do not have any pictures of this unit.

Colin

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Carvewright is proprietary software. and just about everything you want to do you probably will have to buy additional software and You will have to buy it from them and it is not transferable.

I had one and it can be picky to run. don't load the board right error, Cover not closed right errors, it decided to go that way and broke a bit, break a part you have to buy from CW. Need a endmill $40 from CW. You are limited on the width umless you are able to split the project and join the boards back together. There is instruction on how to do that on the forums.

Alot of the issues for people is figuring out the software and people do make good money from their projects.

I made some money from the one I had but was limited to what I wanted to make.

Look at the other options also . I currently have the Onefinity, they are the newest system. Easy to put together comes wired just plug and play, just a few bolts to put it together and you are on your way.

X-carve and shapeoko you have to build it and wire it up. I can not say much about them since I have never seen one or used one. But a lot of people swear by them.
Onefinity there is a couple month waiting time for them to build and ship it.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I have a Shapeoko XXL as my first CNC, I got it gently used and already assembled. It is a great machine for me to learn on and make mistakes with. I'm close to being ready to upgrade to something larger and something with spindle.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Ron, before "starting in the CNC area" make sure you have the time to devote to learning it. So many buy CNC routers and have no idea how to create anything with them, I think many think its automatic and that cant be farther from the truth. You need to learn to be a machine programmer, CAD technician, machine operator and woodworker. I have had mine for a year now and am finally comfortable with operating mine, but I also have over 30 years CAD and CAM experience, but the software was dramatically different than what I was used to. I was also never a CNC operator.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have a Shapeoko XXL as my first CNC, I got it gently used and already assembled. It is a great machine for me to learn on and make mistakes with. I'm close to being ready to upgrade to something larger and something with spindle.
Let me know when you get ready to upgrade if you want to get rid of your Shapeoko

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS