Carved sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hi folks,
I have a friend who is looking for a custom wooden sign. I think the design is what you'd call relief carving where the letters are raised above the background. He is looking for something in the 18" x 24" range. I can get more details if necessary. Please PM me if you are interested or know of someone in the area that can do the work.

Thanks,
Bob

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Do you have any more details on the sign? Does he have a layouit or a set of plans for the letters? Does it involve just letters or a design as well?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Bob -- I think you have this one in the bag. Depending on their expectations ... I created a couple of these some months back on Cypress using a router and a large clear base. Simply took a design to the computer, traced it to the boards of the sign, and routed away. Some cleanup with a carving chisel ... and viola!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Do you have any more details on the sign? Does he have a layouit or a set of plans for the letters? Does it involve just letters or a design as well?

So far, all I know is that he wants a 24x18 inch sign. The text would be a camp name and the sign would include a design with a nice border. I believe he will supply a layout once we determine if someone is generally interested in the project. I will work on getting that info today. Thanks!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the opportunity to do this, Bob. It was more good experience and your friend was super to easy to work with. The job had to move fast because it was needed in time for Christmas, but we got it done. Here are the results (and some in-progress pictures)

The sign is made of Cypress (cut by Ivey and purchased from Reggie (JackLeg) and delivered to me by Phillip (ptt49er). It was finished with Cabot Australian Timber Oil.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks for the opportunity to do this, Bob. It was more good experience and your friend was super to easy to work with. The job had to move fast because it was needed in time for Christmas, but we got it done. Here are the results (and some in-progress pictures)

The sign is made of Cypress (cut by Ivey and purchased from Reggie (JackLeg) and delivered to me by Phillip (ptt49er). It was finished with Cabot Australian Timber Oil.

So DAT's what's under all dat brown paper! I feels better now! I can splain dat to de "man" should he pull me over! :embaresse

Nice job, Jeremy! That cypress has a new life!!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'm just glad to see you got to use some of that cypress!!

That looks great Jeremy, I'm sure everyone will be happy with it.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely fantastic Jeremy! Thanks for taking on this project on such a tight schedule. My bud will make some mad points with the wife. Now, let's see if Reg can kick that goat and get the sign over here today! :wink_smil

poppop

New User
Don
JEREMY
I want to carve a sign for the entrance to our church. Do you suggest just drawing the letters and then carefully routing them out or should i cut a template of the letters first tthanks poppop

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
JEREMY
I want to carve a sign for the entrance to our church. Do you suggest just drawing the letters and then carefully routing them out or should i cut a template of the letters first tthanks poppop

Hi Don

I used a computer to design the signs I've done, then just print them to actual size (which is multiple sheets of paper). I tape them together, then use carbon paper to trace them onto the "to be" sign. From there I take my plunge router with a custom, extra large, clear, acrylic base and carefully route it out. Set the depth and use a depth lock to keep it consistent. I don't think you'll need to template the letters first ... unless you want something that looks more "perfect" as if a computer created it from start to finish. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS