carved halltree

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
halltree2.jpg

View image in gallery

Here is a recently finished piece. It was a reproduction of an existing halltree. I carved the pieces using a photograph for patterns and attached them to the halltree. The halltree was made by another woodworker in SC. The entire piece was made from quartersawn white oak as were all the carved pieces. There were 24 pieces carved in total.
All the pieces were carved using just 5 gouges and one flat chisel. There was very little sanding done and 280 paper was used, mainly to just knock the edges down a little.
It was a great piece to work on and definitely one for the portfolio.
Stave

Hope it comes out right, having trouble with the photos.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very impressive!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That sure looks like a lot of work and a true testament to your patience.

I wouldn't think that hard white oak would be very easy to carve.:elvis:

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful piece of craftsmanship!

Wayne

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Gorgeous! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have to say that, I've never considered myself a real "woodworker" (working with wood doesn't equal "woodworker" in my book, if you know what I mean). The longer I've been on the forums here, the more I am certain that I'm not even a "wood hobbiest." I may barely qualify as a "wood adventurer" or possibly a "wood explorer scout."

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for the positive feedback. I was amazed at how easy the oak carved, must have been because it was quartersawn. It was the first time I carved it, white oak is usually a beast.

Carving is just like everything else...practice and more practice. I have been practicing for over 30 years now and just getting a grip on it now. This piece meant alot to me because the original carvers could do more with one tool than I can with a bench full. It taught me a tremendous amount about tools and layout.

Once I got into the layout and the tools I found that it was all pretty basic. My description would be that it was production carving...simplified down to real basics so it could be turned out quickly with maximum effect.

I have been trying everyday for over 30 years to learn what the average apprentice probably knew by his third year. There isn't anything I would rather be doing and nothing I look forward to more than walking into my shop, smelling the wood and getting to "work" all day at something I love.

Stave

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That's one fine piece of carving stave!:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum what ya gonna do about the seat? leather?

stave

New User
stave
The client had a oak seat but took it off to transport the piece to my shop. We attached the carvings at my shop with one of those 23 guage pin nailers using those micro nails. Man those things are nice! We attached the small pieces around the mirror and they were less than 1/4" wide and thick in places with the grain in all the worst directions. Did not have any problems at all, I was amazed.
Again, thanks for all the kind comments.

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS