Carter Stabilizer bearing

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have changed every bearing on my Delta 14" BS except the Carter bearing. Need to reuse the housing so I do not want to damage it. Need some help on removing this bearing. Thought about clamping two boards just wide enough apart to drive the bearing out. Very little experience with bearings so I am worried about what I can not see. The bearing is an R4A-2RS.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not understanding what the issue is, this is a super common bearing, You can buy from 2 bucks a bearing up to 9-10 bucks depending on vendor and quality. I have replaced every bearing in my saw before all are straight forward, no real surprises. Please clarify.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Keye,
Can you shoot a picture - I thought the bearing was only held on with a screw -
Just assumptions since I don't have Carter guide bearings...

Assuming it is in a housing - pushing out isn't an issue, but pushing in, you need to press (slow pressure, no banging... on the outer race into the housing or you could push the bearing apart...

I usually use my metal working vise to provide a slow, even pressure

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Not understanding what the issue is, this is a super common bearing, You can buy from 2 bucks a bearing up to 9-10 bucks depending on vendor and quality. I have replaced every bearing in my saw before all are straight forward, no real surprises. Please clarify.
This is the bearing for the Carter Stabilizer. Have two replacements on order for $5. Do not think there is an issue. Just being overly careful. Will take a punch and go around the edges to take it out. Will use my 16 1/2" drill press to press the replacement in. Do not want to damage the housing (really do not think I will) but you have to buy the bearing, housing, and shaft as an assembly from Carter for $40. If it was $15 I would just buy the assembly but I hate it when they know you do not have any alternatives and they stick it to you.
Keye,
Can you shoot a picture - I thought the bearing was only held on with a screw -
Just assumptions since I don't have Carter guide bearings...

Assuming it is in a housing - pushing out isn't an issue, but pushing in, you need to press (slow pressure, no banging... on the outer race into the housing or you could push the bearing apart...

I usually use my metal working vise to provide a slow, even pressure
For the Delta it is in a housing. Will use my 16 1/2" drill press to press it in. See my response to Oka for more.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You may have to heat the sleeve to get it off. Because the bearing is going to be trash, use a heat gun. To install sleeve on new bearing, you need to heat sleeve, before trying to press it on. For a bearing heater, I use a 100 watt light bulb. With bulb turned on, place sleeve on top of bulb for about 3 minutes. Using leather gloves,quickly place sleeve over bearing and press it on. When removing and installing sleeve, you will need an arbor the same size as outer race of bearing

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You may have to heat the sleeve to get it off. Because the bearing is going to be trash, use a heat gun. To install sleeve on new bearing, you need to heat sleeve, before trying to press it on. For a bearing heater, I use a 100 watt light bulb. With bulb turned on, place sleeve on top of bulb for about 3 minutes. Using leather gloves,quickly place sleeve over bearing and press it on. When removing and installing sleeve, you will need an arbor the same size as outer race of bearing

If it is a press fit bearing, do as Bruce said, but also put the bearing in the freezer overnight. Pull it out of the freezer right before you are ready to install it. Shrinking the bearing and expanding the sleeve can make the install a lot easier.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Another way to heat the sleeve I have done before is to use a small sauce pan and heat some vegetable oil to 130-180 deg then remove from the stove and immerse the sleeve in it for a min then press on the bearing. The oil will make it slick and with a bit of rubbing alcohol will easily clean up.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info folks. Behind the eight ball for Christmas presents. Ordered the assembly from Carter. After it arrives tomorrow I am going to try the bearing replacement myself. If it works out I will have a spare I will probably never need:D.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info folks. Behind the eight ball for Christmas presents. Ordered the assembly from Carter. After it arrives tomorrow I am going to try the bearing replacement myself. If it works out I will have a spare I will probably never need:D.
Thinking this falls into the case for the following thread: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/knowing-when-to-toss.71366/

(BTW if it were me, they would find the spare shortly after "burnin' me up" and have to figure out what to do with it!)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS