Carolinas Industrial Woodworking Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
The Carolinas Industrial Woodworking Expo is back scheduled for February 19 & 20, 2009, Thursday 9 am - 5 pm & Friday 9 am - 4 pm.

Right now, the plan is to meet Friday at the Klingspor booth at 11:15 and head over to Stamey's BBQ across the street by 11:30.

The web site is: http://www.carolinaswoodexpo.com/gso/index.cfm

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I had been planning on going Thursday, but it would be great to meet all of you, so I'm changing my plans so I can be there on Friday.

I'll see you there.

Charley

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
FYI - was there today and be aware this show is less than half of what previous shows were. Quite a disappointment. Looks like times are tough all over. :5sigh:
However Stameys BBQ is great. :eusa_danc

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just got back and I agree with Pete. The show is half the size it was when last here (2007) and 1/3 the size it used to be 4-5 years ago. Don't know if it is the economy or the closing of many of the businesses in the area that led vendors to stop showing. Still a shame either way.

George

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I also was at the show today and the good news is that we were able to cover the show in 20 minutes and move onto meetings. LOTS of empty booths in the area that was roughly half of the floorspace used for the last show I attended here. Granted this was always meant to be more industrial than hobby but this is bad to the point I worry about the hobby type shows as well.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had some things at work that could not wait, but it sounds like I didn't miss anything by not going.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Kinda figured things would be slow at the show but there were some standouts. The Wurth booth was swamped. Their new "knee bump cabinet door opener" hardware was pretty nice. Great for the undersink cabinet access for the trashcan when your hands are full or nasty. Turning House Millworks from Landis, NC (www.turninghousemillworks.com) had a display of some of their reclaimed lumber from old buildings. Some of the old growth SYP was incredible. Diversified tripped a Sawstop cartridge which was well attended. NCSU had a neat display of furniture made from wood we would not normally consider like Sweet Gum and Hackberry.(http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wood/Under Utilized Species Project/) Met a group of High School students and their Industrial Arts (not sure what they call it now:dontknow:) teacher from Montgomery County after the show in Woodcraft. Nice to see some young people with enthusiam! Gives me hope!

The NCWW fellowship was in abundance! I didn't count but there must have been 20 people at lunch. No cameras so my "after BBQ GI symptoms" must be imaginary.:rotflm:
Thanks to Jeremy for driving!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I too enjoyed the booth from Landis and found lunch to be most enjoyable!! The ride there was nice with Bwat. Thanks Bill, and thanks to Rick DiNardo for the pass and lunch!!

Last edited:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I agree the show is kind of dying a slow death. Did anybody watch the saw stop demonstration? I have to say it was pretty impressive. I'm an old tools guy, my table saw is over 50 years old, but that is a mighty nice saftey feature. That should be required for all high school and college shops. I hate I missed lunch with you guys. Maybe next time.

bwat

New User
Bill
I agree, the reclaimed birdseye and fiddleback maples from Landis were awesome! Prices were a bit outrageous but may be better on site. Yard is only open Mon-Thursday and I "need" to go?

Nice to meet more NCWWs. Thanks for navigating Tracy.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
It was a good day. Show wasn't much however I did make two contacts with wood suppliers. I enjoyed meeting several of you for the first time. Breakfast and lunch was excellent. I got to see Walnutjerry's new kitchen cabinets he built. Oh yeah, it was good to just get out of the sawdust pile for a day. (see avatar) I got two request for estimates and an internet order while I was out running around. I guess I'll be back in the sawdust pile tomorrow, oh well.
Rob

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The show was not so hot, but the company was first class. Thanks for riding up with me Mike (Shamrock), Peter (PeteQuote), and Mark (Tarhead). Good conversation on the way up and back. It was nice meeting a few new faces and seeing so many people I've met thru NCWW again.

We also made a trip to the company-owned Woodcraft while up there and picked up a few items. What a nice store!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
In my "former life" the trade show industry almost put itself out of business. Too many shows means lower quality!

Although we don't see all that many in OUR area, there are tons of shows across the US every WEEK! Manufacturers are spread thin trying to determine which will bring them the most for their $ spent.

Lots of expense in putting on a show, even a small one. Booths have gotten ridiculously expensive, even at some of the smaller venues. The company making the most money on trade shows is the booking agent and the exhibition halls.

Other than when it presents an opportunity to see a bunch of you guys, I now limit my shows to the "Big Ones" in a major market. That's where most of the manufacturers are likely to be.

I go to the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. You can't see the entire show in 3 days! And some of the best time is in the local hotels at night rubbing elbows with the guides and outfitters.

Just my 2 pennies worth!

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Well I just wanted to add my two cents to the thread. I had a great time and yes the show was small but it was well attended by the NCWW's it appeared. I am sure the economy had a lot to do with the vendor attendance but I wanted to thank all the vendors that did attend. There was a lot of good information to be had. I did enjoy meeting a lot of you all and putting a person to all I read on line. I hope to meet a lot more of you great people.

I also wanted to thank Robert (Makinsawdust) for getting us there and back. The GPS was working well on our side trips. We found all the wwing shops in the area including those that weren't open. I also wanted to thank Walnut Jerry for showing us his new kitchen cabinents he just built, very inpressive. I also got a chance to see some of Jerry's beautiful chairs, outstanding! Jerry knows more about building chair's than I will ever learn. He's got a great shop as well, wish I had half that much room in my shop.
I was wondering if any of you all go out to the big woodworking show in Las Vegas, I understand it is huge. I have had a chance to go to the SEMA show in Vegas and it was huge as well, this is the Speciality Equipment Manufactures Association Show. Over a Million squar feet of automotive STUFF, you can't see it all in 4 days!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great meeting some new-to-me NCWWers and chatting with the old-timers :icon_thum

NCWWers are truly fine folks!

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS