Care, feeding and use of Stanley 81 Scrapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I picked up a really nice Stanley 81 scraper at an antique shop in Mebane (for $15!). It still has its original Sweetheart iron and rosewood bottom and looks like it was never used very much.
The iron (blade?) is beveled on both ends and, not surprisingly, is not very sharp.
Does the setup of this tool pretty much follow along with that of the #80? In other words, do I create/hone a 30 - 40 degree bevel and then burnish a hook?
I assume that the correct use of this tool would orient the blade/iron in the same general direction as a regular cabinet scraper (i.e., upper edge leads the lower edge, thus dragging the burr along the workpiece).
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Steve W

New User
Steve
Thanks, Albert.

I more or less reckoned that the blade would be held at a similar angle to a hand-held, so I guess I can't claim title to being a brain surgeon.:lol:

Actually, I thought I'd already checked in with Patrick's page on this one and the info on the 81 appeared to be a little scant, with him only saying that it was fussy to set up. I'll have to read the whole section again.

Actually Patrick's site is quite a good read!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS