Card scraper reconmendations

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Welcome to the marvelous world of woodworking. Learn it right and you will create a lifetime of enjoyment.

Card scrapers are one tool in which I have not found a whole lot of difference brand-to-brand. They are relatively mild (soft) steel, deliberately so, and therefore all will eventually lose their burr (edge) and have to be resharpened. I haven't found a particular brand that holds its edge longer than any other. Right now Woodcraft has a 3 card set--Lynx brand--on sale that will last you forever.

More importantly you will build a solid foundation for sharpening all your tools, understanding what goes into putting a sharp and lasting edge on your tools, and a keen appreciation for keeping your tools sharp. Buy a burnisher when you get your scrapers. Then go to You Tube and watch as many videos as you want to on how to put a working edge on them. Then have at it. If you mess up it's no big deal, just start over. Scrapers are forgiving tools.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker! Wiley is correct that there not much difference between the brands in card scrapers. I own several of the same brand and find differences between scrapers of the same brand. But not enough to cause issues. So you can’t go wrong with what he has recommended.
I have noticed that you have not gone to the thread of who we are and introduced yourself. It’s a good idea to that, you will appreciate the welcome you will receive from the other members. Feel free to ask questions and welcome.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Welcome Ryan! Card scrapers are super valuable and really inexpensive. There are a lot of good YouTube videos on how to properly use and sharpen them.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Welcome.
I do find a difference in thickness. I hate my "Stanley" as too thick, some Chinese too thin. My favorite is expensive as I got it from Wood By Wright. ( like $13 bucks) but maybe a buck cheaper if you get them from DFM. Wood By Wright Card Scraper — Wood By Wright They come sharp and ready to use which can be a help to a beginner to see how they should be. Next best is to cut up old non-restorable saws. I was just in a Habitat Restore and they had a pile of useless hand saws for $5 each. Modern junk saws not worth restoring but a place to get steel that is about right.

I have a set of curved scrapers, but come to think about it, don't think I ever have used one. Strait I use all the time.

An old engine valve makes a great burnisher as they are hardened. Better than a screw driver. Otherwise, what Wiley said. :)

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
Welcome to the marvelous world of woodworking. Learn it right and you will create a lifetime of enjoyment.

Card scrapers are one tool in which I have not found a whole lot of difference brand-to-brand. They are relatively mild (soft) steel, deliberately so, and therefore all will eventually lose their burr (edge) and have to be resharpened. I haven't found a particular brand that holds its edge longer than any other. Right now Woodcraft has a 3 card set--Lynx brand--on sale that will last you forever.

More importantly you will build a solid foundation for sharpening all your tools, understanding what goes into putting a sharp and lasting edge on your tools, and a keen appreciation for keeping your tools sharp. Buy a burnisher when you get your scrapers. Then go to You Tube and watch as many videos as you want to on how to put a working edge on them. Then have at it. If you mess up it's no big deal, just start over. Scrapers are forgiving tools.
Thank you for the advice sir!

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
Welcome.
I do find a difference in thickness. I hate my "Stanley" as too thick, some Chinese too thin. My favorite is expensive as I got it from Wood By Wright. ( like $13 bucks) but maybe a buck cheaper if you get them from DFM. Wood By Wright Card Scraper — Wood By Wright They come sharp and ready to use which can be a help to a beginner to see how they should be. Next best is to cut up old non-restorable saws. I was just in a Habitat Restore and they had a pile of useless hand saws for $5 each. Modern junk saws not worth restoring but a place to get steel that is about right.

I have a set of curved scrapers, but come to think about it, don't think I ever have used one. Strait I use all the time.

An old engine valve makes a great burnisher as they are hardened. Better than a screw driver. Otherwise, what Wiley said. :)
Thank you for the help!!! I'm also very grateful you added the link also!

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker! Wiley is correct that there not much difference between the brands in card scrapers. I own several of the same brand and find differences between scrapers of the same brand. But not enough to cause issues. So you can’t go wrong with what he has recommended.
I have noticed that you have not gone to the thread of who we are and introduced yourself. It’s a good idea to that, you will appreciate the welcome you will receive from the other members. Feel free to ask questions and welcome.
OK thank you, sorry I didn't see the introduction thread

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
Sorry I still couldn't find the introduction thread.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors